NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Penn 12lt - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 07-28-2023, 02:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Penn 12lt

I have a penn 12lt w/ 40lb mono is this set up any good for yellow fin on a party boat. also have a chance to buy two penn 80 for $700 in very good condition or is this overkill for yellow fin.. Thank you in advance
Old 07-29-2023, 09:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Penn 12lt

I've never actually held a Penn 12LT but from the pictures I've found I think you have some options to make it VERY capable of handling canyon tuna.
You could spool it completely full of 30 or 40lb mono and pair it with a 20-60LB or so rod and fish it like that.
OR
You could spool it with 65LB braid with at least a 100yd topshot of 60LB mono and use a heavier rod.
Either option will handle most yellow or long fin tuna in the northeast canyons. The first option would be my choice however, it requires just a little more time and patience in battle.
I've gotten great service from Momoi Diamond Mono. It's diameter:breaking strength is the best I've found.
IMHO an 80 series is too big and heavy for this fat man to hold all night.
Have fun!

SHORTS
Old 07-30-2023, 06:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thank you, I will look into the Momoi Diamond;
Old 08-15-2023, 06:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

#65 hollowcore with 100 yard shot of #60 momoi. Loop to loop connection. The reel is plenty for a longfin and yellowfin. But if you hook an XL model yellow or a bigeye, the hollowcore capacity MIGHT save your bacon.

Wind-ons make life so much simpler. Having a 100 yard top shot will help avoid bad tangles on a party boat too.