NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

ice ice baby - Page 6 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-14-2016, 08:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: ice ice baby

A short video that can save your life. Hopefully none of us will never need to try it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA
Old 12-15-2016, 09:19 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Great!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey topaz View Post
Save your money dont pay no attenttion to those automatic fishermens jawjackers . First year i went nutz buyin all those and were useless, you kinda gotta figure out fir starting out if you wanna fish for bigger fish with big baits or you just dont care what you catch as long as its action.... evreyones diffrent
Spot on there Mikey...with the everyone's* different* part. For just getting started on the ice, I'd say go simple like Crisper & Briansnat shared. Just land some fish, keep busy, & most importantly make an enjoyable experience. That'll make you come back, then you can decide what's your preferred style of fishing on the hard stuff. Personally, the 1st fish I landed on the ice was on a homemade slammer/automatic-fisherman. Banked perch, crappie, bass, pickerel, and a muskie on it as well. Sturdy, tried & true. Costed me less than $5 to make! Seems like any you buy should come with a fragile warning and the poles I've seen used are too parabolic with not enough backbone to actually set the hook. If you don't mind me asking Mikey, what problems did you have with yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
A short video that can save your life. Hopefully none of us will never need to try it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA
Definitely don't want to need to use these methods. But great to know. Can never be too prepared when it comes to ice knowledge & safety and after all else fails, lessons from this video can be the difference between another future trip or death. Thanks for sharing. Viva la NJFers!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 12:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Anyone out today? I would be if I wasn't working and headed to the Christmas party tonight
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 12-15-2016, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Question Re: ice ice baby

Do you guys think it will be safe to go out this weekend? The temps are supposed to be in the 40s and 50s for Saturday and Sunday. I was thinking more Sunday morning if its snowing in the morning before the rains arrive?
Old 12-15-2016, 02:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingbuddies View Post
Do you guys think it will be safe to go out this weekend? The temps are supposed to be in the 40s and 50s for Saturday and Sunday. I was thinking more Sunday morning if its snowing in the morning before the rains arrive?
I would give it more time
Old 12-15-2016, 03:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

in all seriousness, the wind can do a number on fresh forming ice skim to 2"...i just got word that the wind today really messed up the ice on some popular early ice lakes that were looking really good to go soon (and now might no longer be).
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 12-15-2016, 04:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yeah don't think any of the bigger lakes even the ones the freeze early will be able to hold up with the wind and warm up this weekend. Some smaller ponds I know will be OK, got one that is protected from the wind that I'll be checking out tomorrow
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 12-15-2016, 05:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i checked out one of my old local ponds and it had only 2" not safe, the ice had alot of bubble chambers in it maybe the warmer temps will help to fill them and refreeze at night.the shores are going to take a hit with the pending rain.i also drove by splitrock and it was wide open with small white caps. some parts of da cong are locked up but the main lake was open.we still need a little time.please be careful out on your scouting missions a spud bar and measuring device are a must.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

9 degrees in Vernon right now, there are places to fish tomorrow but Sunday is gonna mess things up, be safe, I always have a rope in my sled, space yourself when your walking out and don't fish alone this early in the season, flag up!