NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fishing, food, fun, and THE BEAR!!(Part 1 of two posts) - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-04-2013, 11:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fishing, food, fun, and THE BEAR!!(Part 1 of two posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish n Jeep
I would welcome a bear in my yard if he would eat all the damn acorns. Its like walking on marbles just getting the mail.
do you know any deer hunters? they would love to rake up those acorns for you. if you really have a lot, think about posting something on craigslist. seriously, i would come do it myself but you're an hour and a half away from me.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fishing, food, fun, and THE BEAR(Part 2 of two posts)

looks like a good day (as always) mitch, good fish (and sandwich)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo
Seeing a bear in the wild always makes my day, too.
This is their hyperphagia period when they are engorging themselves on acorns and anything else they can get their paws on in preparation for the winter.

As much as I like bears, I am glad New Jersey manages their population with a hunting season. I remember when Corzine stopped the bear hunt. There were so many damn bears. Fishing in the evening from the shore at the Delaware Water Gap was a scarey experience. It felt like you were at the zoo on the wrong side of the cages. There were bears walking around everywhere. I almost walked into a bear that was eating out of a garbage can in a parking lot. Scarey stuff to experience when you're alone in the dark.

It couldn't have been much fun for the bears, either. There's only so much food available in the woods. Bears were forced to move into the suburbs looking for food where they were eventually captured and euthanized.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
well said! in general, i think bears are really cool too. i don't personally hunt them, but i do support the bear hunt to manage their population. it's really the only way that works to keep their numbers in check. otherwise, there just get to be too many and they end up expanding their range into areas that cause conflict with people. i have bears on my property several times a year. one time in particular this spring, the police and I chased the same ~450# male off the property three times in two hours... the bears have learned to not be afraid of humans because they see us so much, and that's an issue. other people in my town have had pets and livestock eaten.

maybe the state should implement an Equal Opportunity Bear program. when DEP captures nuisance bears up here in northern jersey, they can ship them down to the folks in central and southern NJ to enjoy.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fishing, food, fun, and THE BEAR(Part 2 of two posts)

Equal Opportunity Bear pilot program:

Old 10-04-2013, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Roflmao
Old 10-04-2013, 02:34 PM
iceehot6766

O just added some video of the bear in it's natural habitat...........Just scroll down and under the 3 pics of the bear, there is a link that should bring you to the video on my facebook page....even if you don't have fb, you can still watch the video!!!......Enjoy guys!!!

Last edited by iceehot6766; 10-04-2013 at 08:53 PM..
Old 10-04-2013, 05:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Fishing, food, fun, and THE BEAR!!(Part 1 of two posts)

Good stuff Mitch! Was the wind blowing toward that shoreline where the bear was spotted? If yes, that big old bear was there cus it smelled that delicious sammich!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Pretty epic day it looks like. Apparently those watershed properties still produce well. You made me jealous....and hungry! Your sandwich reports are just as awesome as your fishing reports.

Lol'd at the bear in the river catching a striper pic, nice job photoshopping.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Once again, another AWESOME day on the water with a valued new friend. Thanks Mitch for such a detailed post (and the Holy MotherClucker...) - detailed enough where I'm not sure what I can add to it and I WAS THERE! It doesn't get better than this.

You have a spot on my boat anytime...looking forward to it...
Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Couple of those Smallies looked pretty BIG! Any idea how big the largest SAMMIE was?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 PM
iceehot6766

Ed, we didn't have a scale but my guess is my fish went 3.5 maybe more....the bellies on ALL the fish we caught was full and looked like they had a golf ball to a handball sized bulge in their stomachs....definitely startIng to feed hEavy for the end of the season......one of the picklerel's stomach was so hard I thought it swallowed a turtle!!!.....Here's a better pic of Jim's biggest...I just found it on my phone...was exhausted from yesterday and for some reason missed it.......

Some more bear pix....

Last edited by iceehot6766; 10-05-2013 at 02:58 AM..