NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout Stocking Survey - Part 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-28-2023, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Trout Stocking Survey - Part 3

https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/news-2023-08...survey-part-3/

NJ Fish & Wildlife is excited to launch Part 3 (General & Special Regulations) of our NJ Trout Stocking Survey.

We wanted to thank you for your participation in our first two trout stocking surveys. Your feedback is very valuable to us, so that we can provide a better trout fishing experience!

The button below will take you to Part 3 of the trout stocking survey. We ask that you take the time to continue with your input.

In case you did not get the chance to take Parts 1 or 2 of the survey, they are also included below.

-

I found this survey has more interesting questions, so i encourage all to fill this out.

There is a question regarding how the state has exclusively stocked only Rainbow trout

So get on it

Take the survey here
Old 08-28-2023, 06:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Trout Stocking Survey - Part 3

Thanks for posting Luke! I took the survey already and can only hope that others participated as well. I can catch Trout all year long here thanks to the wonderful job NJ does. Some of the best fishery management around without a doubt.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Trout Stocking Survey - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
I can catch Trout all year long here thanks to the wonderful job NJ does. Some of the best fishery management around without a doubt.
Couldn't agree more. NJ does a great job with the limited resources both people and natural that they have.

As to the exclusive stocking of rainbows, I didn't like it at 1st but I kind of do now. At least I know with far more certainty that when I catch a brook or brown trout that they are more than likely wild, given the waterways I fish.

Slingin' Cane

Purveyor of the dark art of the fly rod
Old 09-21-2023, 06:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I’m a PA resident now but lived in NJ a long time . I fish big trout now in eastern PA and northern NJ .
The present NJ stocking system is on the money . Oddly enough most big trout those over 5#s I’ve taken out of NJ waters !
Like was mentioned you trout fish Jersey year round snd catch trout . Many big fish in lakes and streams .
I’ve taken 55 big trout over 5#’s up to 10#+ most in NJ waters the last 10 seasons .
I’ve taken as many as 6 in one year once I keyed in on a technique that elevated my game in NJ waters .
My hats off those guys that stock !
Old 09-21-2023, 11:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Smile Re: Trout Stocking Survey - Part 3

I like many others requested the stocking of brown trout again. I'm hoping they are able to stock the Raritan river in the near future with brown trout so if the planets align correctly we may see more unicorns like these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rrrbrowntrt.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	168416  
Old 09-24-2023, 05:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I’d also like to add going back some many seasons NJ only stocked basically for opening day ! By the 3rd week of the season it was tough to catch a trout unless the fly stretches were open .
If memory serves they’re only 2 at the time Flat Brook and Muskie . Back then they may have stocked those in season since in those days they held trout all year .
Todays NJ stocking programs offer so much more in the way of being able to catch decent trout year round in many streams and lakes .
If you were a lake fisherman way back when before Round Valley and Monksville , Spruce Run supported a decent lake run Donaldson rainbow fishery !
In late winter these bows would head up the creek and provided an exciting fishery for a few seasons .
Spruce run initially was supposed to be a cold water fishery however that’s didn’t pan , so it became multi warm water species fishery .
So looking back todays fishery is head and shoulders above what it was for trout in streams and various lakes .
There is a private lake in north Jersey that produces nice browns that on occasion ran up its feeder stream .
However today if you put in your time trophy trout are always on the menu and much better fishery than years bsck .