NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Smallmouth Crush on the Delaware - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-07-2023, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Smallmouth Crush on the Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
I could have sworn i saw some shad (like 8-10 inch) swimming fast around one of the slower/weedy edges. Couldnt get a good glimpse of them but definitely had the forked tail and oval body shape.

8-10" for this year's YOY juvenile shad would be too big for shad. There's a number of different shad/herring species in the Delaware, that's probably what you saw. Large schools of bait fish skipping along the surface around 2 inches long at this stage would most likely be shad which is probably what you saw on the surface.

I would think some of the smallmouths you caught would have been spitting up shad as I'm sure they're gorging themselves on them.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
8-10" for this year's YOY juvenile shad would be too big for shad. There's a number of different shad/herring species in the Delaware, that's probably what you saw. Large schools of bait fish skipping along the surface around 2 inches long at this stage would most likely be shad which is probably what you saw on the surface.

I would think some of the smallmouths you caught would have been spitting up shad as I'm sure they're gorging themselves on them.
thanks, yea true might be another herring.

i didnt happen to see any bait skipping myself, think Gerry did, but rather some bigger schools subsurface around one of the weedy edges. The bait didnt look very "herring/shad" like though so curious if I could find that out.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
One of the most amazing days of fishing I’ve ever had. We stopped counting at 50 fish and also had one Walleye.

Jake and got a treat fishing with Mikey Topaz on his custom built drift boat. This thing is sweet and comfortable. https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService

Fast Eddie, Luke and Barry Kayaked and crush them too

If you haven’t done a trip like this I would highly recommend it. The fishing is insane and so was the scenery as well a watching a bald eagle swoop down and grab a fish.

Really great trip which I’ll never forget.
Knew it the second I had to bail. Great trip Gerry, Mikey sure knows how to find them. On the mend and will reschedule as soon as my PT and other treatments are over!
Old 08-11-2023, 11:29 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
Knew it the second I had to bail. Great trip Gerry, Mikey sure knows how to find them. On the mend and will reschedule as soon as my PT and other treatments are over!
Missed you man! I’ll get you out sooner then later! Feel better
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423