NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Baitcaster Recomendation? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 11-05-2016, 06:10 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Baitcaster Recomendation?

Hey I have always used spinning gear and love to bass fish. I always hear how a baitcaster is a better reel for bass fishing. Any Rod/Reel Recommendations for a beginner?
Old 11-05-2016, 06:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Baitcaster Recomendation?

i like my penn 955 and a 6'6"ugly stick. a good combo for freshwater, i have used that combo for fluke too.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:08 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I love my BPS Pro Qualifier
Old 11-05-2016, 07:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'd start out with a Walmart combo. Learn how to use it, and if you like it, then invest in a better setup.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
I'd start out with a Walmart combo. Learn how to use it, and if you like it, then invest in a better setup.
Abu Garcia Black Max Combo, $59.99 in store- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Abu-Garci...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

After 40+ years of spinning I started with baitcasting about two years ago and I find myself using them most of the time. I love the feel and am getting to the point where I can cast nearly as accurately and much farther for distance with the baitcasters.

Getting a cheapie starter reel will only frustrate you as their anti backlash features aren't as good. I have five baitcasting outfits now. I'm not going to spend $300 to $400 on a reel so went for good lower end reels with top notch reps.

I bought a Shimano Curado for a great price at Dicks between a sale and my coupons I think it was $110ish. I really like the Curado. I also like the Diawa Tatula CT which I found for under $100 on Amazon. The best of the bunch though is the Lew's Tournament MB. Great reel. I think I paid $115 for it.

For baitcasting rods it's hard to beat the Berkley Lightning Shock or their regular Lightning Rod. Great rods in the under $50 range, but my favorite baitcasting rod so far is the Fenwick HMG that I picked up online for half what it usually goes for. It really pays to shop around for sales.

If you shop around you can park a Lew's Tournament HB or a Diawa Tatula and a Berkley Lightning Shock for well under $200. Go for a fast taper MH or M rod in 6'6" or 7". I found the medium to be easier to start with.

The final decision for me was choosing left handed baitcasting reels (I'm a righty). After a lifetime of spinning I was more comfortable using a left-handed baitcaster, cranking with my left hand and working the rod with my right as I've always done with spinning rods. I know baitcaster pros frown on this, but it works for me.

Last edited by briansnat; 11-09-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Old 11-08-2016, 08:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
Getting a cheapie starter reel will only frustrate you as their anti backlash features aren't as good.
I agree 100%. Cheap reels will make you go nutty picking out the backlashes. With a bait caster setup you wan to spend the $ on the reel and can skimp on the rod.

Solid recommendations on models to pursue. I personally started with Quantum and have 5 different models of theirs and like them all. I have been looking at the Lews Speed Spools recently and they get great reviews.

I would go with a 6'6" or 7' MH fast action rod. There are some decent $50 rods out there. Check the reviews.

As for line I would recommend starting with 12-15# mono or copoly. When you start out you will have a lot of backlashes and line mishaps. If you use braid more than likely you will have to cut out the backlash and will break lures off. Mono will be more forgiving. Leave the braid and floro mainline for when you get comfortable casting and are limiting your backlashes.

As for the whole lefty vs righty reel go to the store and pick up one of each to decide for yourself. I am a righty and use a right handed reel the lefty reels just feel awkward to me.