NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

help with spinning rod - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 07-25-2013, 05:42 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default help with spinning rod

hey all

i'm looking to purchase a spinning reel. I would like something that can handle anything from fluke to striped bass. I plan on using it 45% on party boats while fluking to throw out bucktails when the drift dies, 45% at my local fishing pier for anything from fluke to striped bass. the remaing 10% of the time at the beach.

I will probably throw this on a trevala or st croix rod around 7 feet.

I was looking at penn battles, but I see alot of reviews warning against wind knots. I am also looking at quantum bocas and cabos. Not sure the difference is models. It seems as the years change the model numbers shift as well. confusing

also, i would like to keep this under $200, possibly closer to $150. With that said if the perfect reel exist for a bit over $200, I would consider it.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: help with spinning rod

Lotsa' good info here --> http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60733
Old 07-25-2013, 06:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Penn Battles are both quality and economical spinners. (We have 4...no trouble 3 years) Plus, if you ever do need parts or repairs, you don't have to send them back to the factory for service. Almost everyone services Penns.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

whoops, subject line should read help with spinning reel. long day for me over here. sorry.

i see there are alot of penn battle fans, I was all set to get one and heard from 2 people they have problems with windknots. I did a quick google search and see there are ALOT of people who have this issue with the battles. Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have 2 battles and have had no problems with wind knots. But I think it may have something to do with not using good braid. I use suffix on all my reels.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If that's your price range get the penn spinfisher 3500 or 4500 awesome reels perfect for what you want tougher than the battles no wind knot issues to speak of
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I was using conventionals all my life and just switched to a spinner setup and just love the penn battle for the price you cant beat it . Awesome drag and easy to use .

Bought a penn battle this year and love it for jigging - spro-ing , no issues or problems except me . operator error

Gdubya-
Old 07-26-2013, 04:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Both the Penn Battle 4000 and the Quantum Boca 40 are great reels for your purposes. I have both and would grab either one without question. Call around and see who stocks both and go try them out, you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980
Both the Penn Battle 4000 and the Quantum Boca 40 are great reels for your purposes. I have both and would grab either one without question. Call around and see who stocks both and go try them out, you won't be disappointed.

I agree! Both are excellent choices!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think for the money you cant beat a Penn Battle..with that said I have a cabo and its very nice too but cost twice as much.