NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Annual "Send for Scott" - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-15-2023, 06:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Annual "Send for Scott"

Every year around the time of my late Father's birthday, I go on a trout trip on the waters I grew up fishing with him. This year I couldn't get off on his actual birthday, but I was able to set a full day aside today to get out there.

I got up at 6, made coffee, walked the dog and hit the road by 7. Bit of a drive to get down there, but made it to the water by 8:25. A few minutes later, Luke pulled up and we were ready to go. We started in my old hometown on one of my favorite creeks of all time. While Luke was finishing getting all his things together, I decided to get started and threw a spinner in the closest hole to the car. Cast 3, boom baby! Brown Trout ahoy! A beautiful wild fish. Gave a nice fight, took some photos and away it swam.

We made out way upstream working every hole thoroughly. Luke's jig was getting harassed by a small trout that never committed, but other than that it was slim pickings. After almost 2 hours with no other bites, we made our move upstream.

Same creek, different spot. We descended into the woods and when I looked up into the trees I had to smile. The remnants of my dad's old tree stand are still just barely hanging on, and I know he was with us. As we fished my favorite childhood holes, we unfortunately came up short again.

This ended up being the theme of the day. We grinded non-stop (except for a quick burger break), the fishing was tough. We hopped around a few more rivers and streams but couldn't buy a bite. We figured we'd stop at one last spot to see if we could make something happen. At the very last hole, I cast a plug into a nice looking run and connected with what I thought would be a nice Rainbow, but to our surprise a nice SMB was on the other end! An awesome, unexpected catch to end the day.

I wouldn't be a fisherman today if it hadn't been for my dad. We lost him to suicide in 2016 and I think about him every day.

To be candid, this past year has been pretty rough for me mentally, but days like today show me that as many bad days as you might have there is always a good one ahead. If you or someone you know is struggling, please know you're not alone. There is always someone that will listen. If you don't have someone to talk to, talk to me. I wish my dad had.

Take care and tight lines! Long live Scott Simanski!
Old 01-15-2023, 06:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Annual "Send for Scott"

A river smallmouth in the middle of winter with ice forming around the banks. Im still amazed by it I think the coldest NJ river smb ive seen caught.

Another great day with Hookmanski, glad i can fish with you anytime
Old 01-15-2023, 07:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Another nice tribute .

While you can’t bring him back , he can always stay alive in your heart .

Enjoy that time on the water , not for what your missing , but for what you had .

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 01-16-2023, 03:42 PM
Site Sponsor

Keep at it Brandon!!!! Your doing great & making your dad proud up there bud.👊🏻
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 01-17-2023, 12:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
Every year around the time of my late Father's birthday, I go on a trout trip on the waters I grew up fishing with him. This year I couldn't get off on his actual birthday, but I was able to set a full day aside today to get out there.

I got up at 6, made coffee, walked the dog and hit the road by 7. Bit of a drive to get down there, but made it to the water by 8:25. A few minutes later, Luke pulled up and we were ready to go. We started in my old hometown on one of my favorite creeks of all time. While Luke was finishing getting all his things together, I decided to get started and threw a spinner in the closest hole to the car. Cast 3, boom baby! Brown Trout ahoy! A beautiful wild fish. Gave a nice fight, took some photos and away it swam.

We made out way upstream working every hole thoroughly. Luke's jig was getting harassed by a small trout that never committed, but other than that it was slim pickings. After almost 2 hours with no other bites, we made our move upstream.

Same creek, different spot. We descended into the woods and when I looked up into the trees I had to smile. The remnants of my dad's old tree stand are still just barely hanging on, and I know he was with us. As we fished my favorite childhood holes, we unfortunately came up short again.

This ended up being the theme of the day. We grinded non-stop (except for a quick burger break), the fishing was tough. We hopped around a few more rivers and streams but couldn't buy a bite. We figured we'd stop at one last spot to see if we could make something happen. At the very last hole, I cast a plug into a nice looking run and connected with what I thought would be a nice Rainbow, but to our surprise a nice SMB was on the other end! An awesome, unexpected catch to end the day.

I wouldn't be a fisherman today if it hadn't been for my dad. We lost him to suicide in 2016 and I think about him every day.

To be candid, this past year has been pretty rough for me mentally, but days like today show me that as many bad days as you might have there is always a good one ahead. If you or someone you know is struggling, please know you're not alone. There is always someone that will listen. If you don't have someone to talk to, talk to me. I wish my dad had.

Take care and tight lines! Long live Scott Simanski!
I remember when you first started posting here and you were on a mission to better yourself as a fisherman and looking to help others even in your grief. . Both goals accomplished! Nice that you are willing to bear your soul and story about your Dad ( sorry for your loss) but even more so sharing to try to help others in mental distress.
You should be very proud of yourself and as others said I am sure your Dad is very proud as well. Mom as well. Keep up the good work! When you get down know that many are there for you and go fishing. Thanks for sharing I am sure it helps many!

And congrats on the FISH!
Old 01-18-2023, 05:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
Same creek, different spot. We descended into the woods and when I looked up into the trees I had to smile. The remnants of my dad's old tree stand are still just barely hanging on, and I know he was with us.
Damn man; I don't know how you kept it together. You were braver and tougher than I would be in that situation!
Old 01-23-2023, 06:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Annual "Send for Scott"

I love seeing this post year after year as some of us grew up not knowing what a Dad is. Keep it up Brandon! He knows your always thinking about him. Nice fish considering it seemed to be a tough day all over. The lower part of the Musky was the most productive for me but it was still super slowwwwww!
Old 01-24-2023, 01:32 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

What a great post and a tribute to your Dad!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area