NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Flourocarbon in the rocks - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 08-27-2015, 08:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Flourocarbon in the rocks

I have always used straight mono leader for fluking as 99% of the time I'm fishing rocks, but am thinking of experimenting with flurocarbon. I haven't yet because I hear it chips easier from rocks but have heard your bites will increase. What do you guys normally use and is the switch to fluro worth it in your experience? If you use fluro did you like any particularly brand over the other?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Flourocarbon in the rocks

I always thought one of fluoro's advantages is abrasion resistance.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good abrasion resistence - light refractive qualities - decent knot strength- can be straightened so good choice for chumming - UV doesn't seem to effect it like monos- underwater lures , it sinks ! Any combination of fluoro / nylon etc in my opinion not as strong & memory can be an issue except for the very beat quality products like Blackwater, Seaguar & a few others , by the way only three factories I'm aware of produce this material so brands vary in claims but many probably manufactured by same company !!
Knotting fluoro always wet profusely since it has rougher surface & can heat and distort under surface friction .
I tend to crimp anything over 80#'s . It's common use is for leader material but there R grat performing lines especially by Blackwater . Not cheap but like their braid one of the very best ! Couple others as well but can't remember brands.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I always use Flouro and I always use Seaguar
Old 08-30-2015, 12:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Only fish I don't always bother with flouro is tog, any others I most likely do cuz they say it's an advantage, and that is my choice... No I don't bluefish... And outside of jersey... Ehhh if I don't have it ... I most likely get some in case anyways...
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 08-30-2015, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Might wanna reconsider it's use for Tog , since a couple of properties it commands R one abrasion resistence per diameter better then MOST monos & it's ability per diameter to to stand off straight from mainline , very easy to straighten reduces memory very well & less stretch then mono if ur using a quality grade fluoro ! All properties I like personally in toggin TS & leads .