NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Water in the fuel tank. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Water in the fuel tank.

Apparently it doesn't matter if it's full or half. Empty would be best.

That said, I did notice some water in the fuel separator filter and am contemplating siphoning out the bottom of the tank from the sender unit. Anyone ever tackle this fun little project and have any tips? Or did you save any of the equipment needed (copper tubing, hand pump...etc). Or....should I just tow it to a local marina and have them handle it?

Video showing how easy it is to get water and I'm assuming everyone has some because of this stupid fuel additive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Water in the fuel tank.

Bobby - Had this issue last year and had the yard take care of it for me. In my situation there was also junk in the tank clogging my fuel pick up. They pumped it all out and reclaimed what they could.

If I'm not mistaken you have a carbed 2 stroke engine and it sounds like you have a Racor fuel filter and water seperator, right?? Is your's the type with the clear plastic bowl on the bottom with a pit cock on it?? If it is and you don't have that much water, I would let the seperator take care of it. Just keep on eye on the bowl and drain it as needed. Probably a good idea to have a few extra filters on hand as well as some towing insurance

The older carbed 2 strokes are not as finiky as the new engines when it comes to water. If your engine was a direct injection or newer 4 stoke I would not risk it.

This ethanol stuff is bad news and most people I know are either buying marine grade fuel with additives (Marine Tech) or they are treating the fuel with Stabil on every fill up which is what I do.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yes...its a carbed 2 stroke and I was figuring on doing just what you said, but if for a hundred bucks or so, I can pull some of that water out and try to minimize how much makes it to the separator, why not try? Had an idea how bad the ethynol was...but this video shows 1oz of water in a 16oz glass within 5 minutes of direct air. Pretty sure every boat has an air vent to the tank so its going to happen. I also figure that glass probably collects more condensation than a foamed in aluminum tank, but still.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Is your fuel tank fiberglass Bobby?? If so, ethanol kills them. Older Bertrams had glass tanks in them and a lot of Bertram owners had issues and were forced to cut out the tanks and replace them when Enthanol was introduced.

I hear you on getting it taken care of. Better to be safe then sorry but I would be surprised if it only costs $100 for someone to come out and do it. Let us know what you find out.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i say we start a class action law suit on the fuel companies and have them repay us for all we have broke or lost to this so called money saving cost cutting great fuel they offer now ....such bs that this fuel with ethanol was supposed to cut the price and we are still paying more not to mention it screwin our sh_t up!!!!!! any attorney's on her im willing to put my name up!!! lets do this !!!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I currently have this problem as well. I just dropped the boat in..ran great until we were on our way back in. My marina says its $390 just for truck to show up and get rid of the fuel - and an additional $0.90 for each gallon...
I use the Racor filter with the clear bulb and I am glad I have it.

Is this something that happens naturally?
Should the marina take some of the blame since A: I keep the boat there and pay them to winterize it. B: I would assume they add stabil for the winterizaton.
How do I know it didn't get in the tank when I fueled up when I splashed her?

Too many questions and I don'e see how this all of a sudden happened this year - never had this problem before.

Was it the warm winter?
I just don't get it. Frustrated!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

The Ethanol they are putting in the fuel is the culprit, you can't blame the marina for that.

We treat our fuel with Stabil every time we fuel up not much else you can do. Our marina used to sell Valve Tech fuel which is pre treated but not sure if there are any in your area.

I think the best thing to do during the season is to fuel up more frequently rather then topping off your tanks every time. This is especially true if you don't use the boat frequently.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Banned

Blame the big Argi-Business corporations that shoveled all the corn ethanol down our throats. It sounded good on paper; reduced oil dependency, domestic production etc but it has totally screwed up the marine industry, driven up the price of food and really hasn't done jack squat except make some giant multinational corporations a lot of extra coin.

I had trouble with my Honda until I finally replaced every single inch of fuel line on the motor and to the motor, replaced the fuel tank, installed a Racor filter in addition to the standard one (uncommon on a 30 hp tiller) and THEN rebuilt the carbs, again. Since then, no worries. I also use fuel additives.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

To answer your original question Fin S, I had to drain my tank a few years ago because it cracked... The easiest way to do it and get virually every drop of gas out is to do the following:

Disconnect the fill hose from the tank and plug the hole with a rubber stopper or plug. Then disconnect the pick up line that delivers gas into the water seperator at the water seperator end . Now, disconnect the vent hose and attach an air compressor to it with a pressure regulator (very important) and pressurize the tank to no more than 1-2 lbs of air (also very important). Sit back and watch it drain.

As far as the scrubbing the tank goes after removing the fuel I'm not sure what you would need to do. It would also be a good idea to pull off the carbs and clean them too. Hope this helps. Thanks for the kudos on the new boat!

Last edited by irishc; 04-10-2012 at 05:53 AM..
Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I plan on doing mine with a hand pump.
I think scrubbing the tank just requires about 2 -3 gallons of fresh gas and lifting the bow - up and down. you have to flush that gas out - and do it at least twice.