NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New to NJ. Where to Fish? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-14-2018, 07:44 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default New to NJ. Where to Fish?

Hello All,

I'm new to NJ. I just picked up a tracker pro team 165. It has a 40hp engine and what I'm finding is the lakes around me are electric only or 9.9hp and below. I'm located in Matawan. I am looking for recommendations where I can take my boat.

Another question is lake lafferts is basically my backyard does anyone know if I can take my boat in there if the engine is up and I use the trolling motor only? I've call Matawan town hall a bunch of times left several messages and getting no responses. Next plan is to stop in when I get a chance.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2018, 08:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New to NJ. Where to Fish?

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fishplc.htm

You will have to drive north to run the 40hp
Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM
NJFishing.com Member

thanks. That's what I was finding. Should have also mentioned I mainly fish for large and smallmouth bass.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfishin11 View Post
thanks. That's what I was finding. Should have also mentioned I mainly fish for large and smallmouth bass.
If you're interested in River smallies check out the raritan river. Good smallmouth found all the way down till it hits saltwater which is around New Brunswick.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Check here for boating information for lakes and ponds:

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fishplc.htm

Your only option to run the 40 in Monmouth County is Deal Lake.

Also consider leaving the boat at home and fishing some of the smaller ponds from shore, they can be surprisingly good for largemouths.

Welcome to NJ, it's an interesting place to fish.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 12-15-2018, 05:43 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Welcome to the forum and the state. Neighbor!
I have almost the same setup as you and fish Lefferts a quite a few times a year.I just leave my fuel tank in the truck and tilt the main motor up.
Lefferts has Lmb , pickerel , crappie, blue gill and I have seen ppl catch catfish.
One of these nights I’m going to pull a all nighter for kitty and crappie but just need to find the time.

The place can get a lot of pressure on weekends and the weeds get thick in the back in summer so fish the back in sping and late fall and the main lake (front part) in summer. I’m sure others will chime in and give a few pointers on this lake that I my not know about.

I do fish all over the state as it has a lot to offer. Your on the right track with the right group of people here on this site.

Tight lines and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You might consider getting a 9.9 for your boat or failing that, being resigned to going electric only in some places. I actually see a lot of anglers with big bass boats doing electric only on some of the Newark watershed lakes and at Merrill Creek. No gas motors of any size are are allowed in the sheds or Merrill Creek but you can use your boat with your gas motor out of the water.

If you are fishing for LM and SM, the Newark sheds have some of the best bass fisheries in NJ. Oak Ridge is considered by many to be the best smallmouth lake in the state and Merrill Creek has a really good SM fishery.

Most of the lakes in NJ are small enough where you don't need anything more than a good electric motor to get around. Hopatcong, Pompton, Greenwood and a few others you can have unlimited HP, however some good fishing lakes such as Round Valley and Monksville limit you to 9.9
Old 12-17-2018, 11:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You'll need a 9.9 or an electric motor, and its definitely a tough place to fish sometimes, but in my opinion anyone who's new to NJ has to see the beauty of the Round Valley Reservoir. You can catch just about anything in there if you look hard enough.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

not worth having an engine bigger than a 9.9 in NJ imo. In fact you'll find the best fishing in the electric only places haha
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 12-17-2018, 03:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

[/IMG]WELCOME to the board. You will "NOT" find a better board for GREAT people willing to help, and all the great info. People on here are awesome to be completely honest. For Bass fishing I'm your man..LOL As all these guy's know, all my wife and I is fish LM & SM year round, I own a 20 foot Ranger w/a 225 on it, and fish all over NJ electric lakes, the key for the elec. lakes with me is using 2 Trolling motors, front and back. I will PM you with my info to give me a call so we can spend some time talking, I'm not like most Bass guy's that keep everything a secret, I love helping people out, and these guy's on this board have helped me out for years now when I have any questions, so when I can give back to someone else, I have NO problem Here are a couple pics. from just this past weekend. Dont to forget to check your PM, I will give you my cell#. Rich