NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

new tuna stick - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: new tuna stick

[QUOTE=Pennsy Guy] I'm penciled in for the 3 48's and am waiting for this year's schedule to come out for the 24's.../QUOTE]
Chuck , the schedule is up on the Gambler site . Looking forward to catching more fish with you and John this year .
Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by njboarder
By the way, the rod I was using is spiral wrapped. You can see that I was pretty comfortable.
NJboarder , did you ever use that Beefy Spinner you were trying out when we caught all those Falsies . I would like to flyline a chunk with that Baby ! Kilsong had his Longrange Charter and they did well with both the Spiral(Acid) wrapped and Spinning tackle .
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Good Luck with your new stick Chucky it is sweet
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Acid wraps have their place in the fishing world..... no doubt.

As a builder, I have seen a few that were not wrapped correctly though and that can create more of an issue. I see all of the "charts" on the transition and how many guides, where to place them and so on....... but we do each rod individually. Moving a guide 1/4" can eliminate a good amount of torque.

Anyone who is looking to build one for the first time, I say read up on it, get a background about what its all about, but DO NOT follow any single persons suggestion on spacing! The best way is to test the actual blank and guides before you lock int he spacing. On occasion, the same model rod blanks will vary as far as spacing.

Each blank will have that sweet spot where the transition becomes almost natural and will make a huge difference! Good luck on the new build! Like I said, they do make a difference for some things.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCoast
Acid wraps have their place in the fishing world..... no doubt.

As a builder, I have seen a few that were not wrapped correctly though and that can create more of an issue. I see all of the "charts" on the transition and how many guides, where to place them and so on....... but we do each rod individually. Moving a guide 1/4" can eliminate a good amount of torque.

Anyone who is looking to build one for the first time, I say read up on it, get a background about what its all about, but DO NOT follow any single persons suggestion on spacing! The best way is to test the actual blank and guides before you lock int he spacing. On occasion, the same model rod blanks will vary as far as spacing.

Each blank will have that sweet spot where the transition becomes almost natural and will make a huge difference! Good luck on the new build! Like I said, they do make a difference for some things.
Posts like this was the deal maker for me..I'd been thinking about an acid wrap since last November...had three or four builders in mind, but when I read a previous post on this site by JC, that made up my mind and I'm glad I did...
I'm guessing other builders are as good as Tom & Tony but putting that info out there in print was the game maker for me...thanks again, guys

Chucky
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

[QUOTE=Ol Pedro]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsy Guy
I'm penciled in for the 3 48's and am waiting for this year's schedule to come out for the 24's.../QUOTE]
Chuck , the schedule is up on the Gambler site . Looking forward to catching more fish with you and John this year .
Thanks Pete, I saw the schedule a couple hours after it was posted and have booked a 24hr....We'll see you onboard and catch em up with you...the 3 48's are now in ink
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Pedro
NJboarder , did you ever use that Beefy Spinner you were trying out when we caught all those Falsies . I would like to flyline a chunk with that Baby ! Kilsong had his Longrange Charter and they did well with both the Spiral(Acid) wrapped and Spinning tackle .
This one? Caught a few tuna with it, but realized that I prefer conventional for jigging, so sold it and bought an accuate..
You have such a good memory !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-31_09-35-44_748.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	57050   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-31095000.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	57051  

Last edited by njboarder; 03-29-2013 at 08:19 AM..
Old 03-29-2013, 08:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by njboarder
This one? Caught a few tuna with it, but realized that I prefer conventional for jigging, so sold it and bought an accuate..
You have such a good memory !!!
Thats the one . After I saw it I tried to come up with one of my own . The best that I could get was a heavy Uglystick and a large Penn spinning reel that I repaired . Only used it snagging so far .
Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Happy Easter Fellas,
Question for you guys:
I sometimes go off on a tangent and like to toss a jig at the tunas. My favorite setup is a Calstar Grafighter 700XH with a 16N Torsa with 80lb Depth Hunter braid. It's lightweight, fun, and has the stones for 80 lbers. Respecting Capt. Bob's mono only rule, what for reel could I use to still keep that sports car feel and hold enuf line? I thought I might scale down to 50lb mono or so? I have an old Trinidad 30 and an Avet LX 4.6 that might work. I think they'd fit about 200 yds of 50lb. You think 200yd would sufice?
Chucky, I know you're not much of a jigger but, you've spent some time on a tuna boat! Pedro??

Thanks,
Jon
Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Jon...my jig outfit is an 8' rod from Bass Pro with a lever drag Ocean master (Bass Pro) & has 50# mono top shot (200') and braid backing(300yds)...I'm guessing the reel is equal to an Avet HX which is my 50# reel...my 30# reel is an Avet LX6...both have 300yds braid backing with mono top shots 150yds(HX) and 230yds(LX)...caught one of those big 80#YFT's on the LX last year...got it to the boat twice but it busted off due to a mako scaring the livin' crap out of it...year before I successfully got a 65-70# LFT on it...reel had no problem with either fish...have caught several more on both the LX & HX.. no problems...hope that helps...
I promised myself I was going to jig more this year..we shall see.....