NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trailer bearings.... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 05-08-2017, 07:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Trailer bearings....

Did a repack for a buddy who nearly had a wheel come off after first trip of the season.

Figured I'd just throw it up here. It doesn't take much to make them fail. Water sitting in the hub over winter did its toll.

Curious as to what grease everyone here is using???

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 05-08-2017, 07:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Trailer bearings....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	109464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	109465  

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Trailer bearings....

I try to get Timken Bearings. Made in USA. Those Chinese ones burn up quick.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just did mine last week. Don't know the brand but used synthetic grease. This was the first time changed. The trailer is 4 years old.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Will be pulling my own hubs this week. Agreed Timken is the only way to go. Difference from China made bearings is def noticeable.

Still looking at grease. Going syn route just unsure of brand.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

#4 red and tacky, Farmer told me about it and it works great!
Old 05-25-2017, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I do not think the type of grease matters much; if brackish water is inside. I now simply consider my bearings disposable, thus keep two spares and all necessary tools with tow rig.

I tend to open mine up when trailer returns to home base, let water drain out if any is in there. Leave the cap off to allow drying out until a few warm sunny days have passed. Then stuff more grease in on top of old, and re-install bearing caps. My towing is 20 miles to nearest ramp, expressway speeds.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

And don't forget an appropriate jack to the trailer. Most totally forget about that part until too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis461 View Post
I do not think the type of grease matters much; if brackish water is inside. I now simply consider my bearings disposable, thus keep two spares and all necessary tools with tow rig.

I tend to open mine up when trailer returns to home base, let water drain out if any is in there. Leave the cap off to allow drying out until a few warm sunny days have passed. Then stuff more grease in on top of old, and re-install bearing caps. My towing is 20 miles to nearest ramp, expressway speeds.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 05-29-2017, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis461 View Post

I have to disagree. I've seen guys use any grease they had lying around as opposed to synthetic or water resistant grease. The standard auto grade stuff turns to a white milky mess when it contacts water. Syn stuff seems to hold up better when exposed to the same conditions.

Going with the #4 R&T. Maybe pull a hub off mid season and see how its holding up....stay tuned...

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 06-12-2017, 11:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Salt water will destroy ANY bearings even Timkens.. I got so sick of replacing bearings, races, hubs, springs and axles on my boat trailers many years ago that I decided to do something about it.

I have 3 boats on 3 different trailers, from 14 to 18 feet and the bearings are all decades old, with no issues ever.. I know its not possible on all trailer boats, but many boat trailer combos can be set up to launch and retrieve without sinking the hubs or axles.. I never wet a hub these days and since I set my trailers up that way years ago, have never replaced a bearing, and can go a several years without even checking them.

Its not that hard to do really, if the boat isn't that big, or can be let down into the water with a power winch... for a lot of small boaters, its well worth checking it out.... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 06-12-2017 at 11:29 PM..