NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Grady white opinion - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-05-2017, 08:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Grady white opinion

I was looking at a 1999 Grady white 263 chase. It looked good not a lot of hrs on the motors. So I was definitely interested. But when I looked for a review on the boat I see some people say that it's a horrible ride They say you get beat up. So my question is does anyone here own one or have anyone in here ever go out on one. If so what is your experience and opinion on this boat. Thanks
Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Grady white opinion

I am not familiar with the boat so I'm no value there. Grady builds good quality and the ones I've been on have always performed fine for their size. Be cautious about any reviews you find online. You can find bad reviews on even the best boats. You never know what people are comparing it to. Are they saying it's a bad ride compared to other 26 footers or their friend's 50 foot Viking?

Last season I went from a 20 ft maycraft to a 21 Parker sportcabin. Reviews said the parkers pound horribly. I'm quite comfortable though. Depends what you are used to. Point is don't pass it up just because a couple hacks on the internet get off on being negative. Go try it for yourself and see if you are comfortable. Best of luck.

RC
Old 03-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Yes, ride is a very subjective thing and a lot depends on how you intend to use the boat, inshore or offshore and what sort of boat you are coming from.

First thing I would do with any boat of this age, regardless of price, is have the hull inspected including stringers and transom for rot and the bottom for blistering. These could be costly repairs and although you think you got a good deal on the boat, you'll might end up poring more money into repairs then the boat is worth.

One thing about Grady's, there are a lot of older ones around so they are well constructed and usually hold their value better then the equivalent price brand boats out there.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I had an older (1987) Grady White Trophy Pro was a 25' with twin O/B's. Was a walk around style. The O/B's were OMC Sea Drives with guzzled fuel like a thirsty pig but essentially was bracket mount for each engine. So full transom with LOTS of storage back there.

As suggested ride is VERY subjective.

It is a heavy boat and does not bounce as much.

Single O/B versus twins changes boat ride too. Heavier is not better in the stern.

Grady has great storage features for fishermen too. I was on a 31' Rampage and the damn thing did not even have fish box on it, live well, transom storage, cockpit wash down bat/prep station and tackle storage lockers.

Mine had a full transom which was great for sea keeping and was quieter. But getting larger fish (100+ lbs) in the boat was a real b*tch. The ginwales are low. Definitely get bolster to protect yur knees.

I loved my Grady. The ride was great in 3 and 4's
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 04-21-2017 at 02:18 PM..
Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ok guys thanks for the comments. I was planning on doing a servey on any used boat that I decide to get. That's one of the first things I will do. Everyone I talk to that's what they all say. So with that being said what is your guys opinion what boat would you buy? The 263 GW. Or I can get a 2796 hydrasport.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:14 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeU2 View Post
Ok guys thanks for the comments. I was planning on doing a servey on any used boat that I decide to get. That's one of the first things I will do. Everyone I talk to that's what they all say. So with that being said what is your guys opinion what boat would you buy? The 263 GW. Or I can get a 2796 hydrasport.
Of those two options in similar condition, I would vote the Hydrasport. When it starts to get a little rough you will appreciate the increased deadrise. That's just me and how I would use the boat.

It really depends on how you are going to use the boat and what gear you will have on it. Get your eyes on both boats to see what you like more and then try to get a sea trial. Try to get as much information as you can get before a survey on the boat, they can get expensive. And you don't get your money back when you walk away from the deal. For that boat would guess $500-$800 for survey and worth every penny before you buy.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

If you're looking for ride then my vote would be Hydrasports as well. I had a 25 Vector WAC and it was by far the best riding 25 I've ever been on. Be forewarned they do need a lot of power on these hulld because of the deeper vee and that will also effect your fuel consumption. Not sure what the particulars are on the hull you are �� at but you want to be at a minimum of 75% of the max rated horsepower for the hull or it may lack the power you need to push it along.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 03-07-2017 at 04:17 PM..
Old 04-02-2017, 08:28 PM
NJFishing.com Member

If i may chime in. I have owned two gradys and they are great hulls both 1985s.Best way take a ride.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have 232
Grady gulfstream 9ft 3beam , it has a great soft
Ride even in 3-4 ft waves . Test ride both. Good luck