NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Guided South Branch float trips: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-14-2021, 01:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Guided South Branch float trips:

Having a chance to look at things differently now, from the outside looking in.
Would charging people to float the South Branch be a viable enterprise ?
Having now done 2 float trips on these rubber rafts I wonder if it such a venture could be pulled off on the South Branch, North Branch and even the main stem of the Raritan river. What would the start up costs be- A 4wd truck, trailer, raft, and insurance. what else.
How much could you charge to float/fish for stocked trout and smallmouth bass. What about spring striped bass trips on the lower Raritan river ? I know a few young bucks started such a venture a few years ago on the South Branch in the Neshanic area floating for smallmouth bass with jon boats, but it was short lived.
What and where. Maybe offer beginner float trips for those that want to learn how to fish or even fly fish. Float possibly the Pequest, and Musconetcong river as well as the D&R canal, eco and bird watching, sightseeing and bow fishing for carp ?
Who would be the clientele, Manhattanites ? What could you charge ?
Some of these rafts can also handle a small electric motors although I don't think I would take people out on Round Valley or Merrill Creek in a raft, but then again anything is possible.
I see what the float guides up in N.Y. and around here have to deal with, dam releases, what a PIA !!! Wouldn't be bothered with that on the South Branch, although they do release water, but on a much smaller scale.
Maybe uncle Ken was right, these rivers just don't hold the amount fish needed to run a charter business, but what if the price was right. With all the clean ups going on the N, S and main stem they are the cleanest they have been in over 100 years. What if the Headgates dam comes down and people start catching shad in Three Bridges ?
I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	147203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2146.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	147204  

Last edited by AndyS; 02-14-2021 at 04:25 PM..
Old 02-14-2021, 05:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Guided South Branch float trips:

bow fishing for carp id pay for

shad sounds fun too but that would have to compete with the quality shad runs just nextdoor at the delaware.

otherwise i dont think a guide would make much from doing floats
just not a lot of demand for it, not matter how good the guide was.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:15 PM
Site Sponsor

I been looking into all this and a few other things along the way..... state doesnt require you to have insurance but you take someone out and they get hurt or die forget it! I looked into the insurance as well and a lot of places won’t give you insurance without having prior experience working with a outfitter or something along those lines.... years back I ran deck for capt Ron’s the guy told me those years would count.
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 02-14-2021, 06:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Just need the LLC n the insurance with it and its feasible....we looked into it yrs ago...the only way its profitable is as a side hustle with kayak rentals and shuttles as the forefront!!
Old 02-14-2021, 06:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Guided South Branch float trips:

The great things about the rafts is you can launch and retrieve just about anywhere you can get close to the water, AND are incredibly stable ! A side kayak rental would be a great idea also.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Funny this topic pops up! Friday I was out on the ice on a local pond and ran into a guy named Mike Snook (The River Monster). And he was talking about taking people for bow trips on the raritan and other local spots. I don’t have Facebook but he’s on there. Looks like he likes huge carp and catfish. Never used him or anything but was a nice guy and DEFINITELY knew the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28841FE8-1F7A-4E72-B3AC-B8979808E46B.jpg (8.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I think the two main things you have working against this idea are A) most of the Raritan is accessible by wading, so you don't need a drift boat/kayak to get to most of the good spots, and B) while the fishing may be good, it's not consistently good enough to make the Raritan a destination fishery. People travel from all over the Northeast to fish the Beaverkill, West Branch, etc.; would they do the same for the Raritan?

Even the kayak rental/shuttle may not be profitable enough. Based on all the flotillas that go down that river on summer weekends, it's pretty evident that organizing such a thing isn't difficult without a "professional" service. Anyone who wants to float the river for an afternoon likely already has the means.

As much as I would love to see someone set up shop on the Raritan and showcase what a great river it is, the incentive just isn't there.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 02-15-2021, 10:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
I think the two main things you have working against this idea are A) most of the Raritan is accessible by wading, so you don't need a drift boat/kayak to get to most of the good spots, and B) while the fishing may be good, it's not consistently good enough to make the Raritan a destination fishery. People travel from all over the Northeast to fish the Beaverkill, West Branch, etc.; would they do the same for the Raritan?

Even the kayak rental/shuttle may not be profitable enough. Based on all the flotillas that go down that river on summer weekends, it's pretty evident that organizing such a thing isn't difficult without a "professional" service. Anyone who wants to float the river for an afternoon likely already has the means.

As much as I would love to see someone set up shop on the Raritan and showcase what a great river it is, the incentive just isn't there.
Well-stated, Lard. I agreed.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Guided South Branch float trips:

I've floated sections of the North and South branch that seem so remote. You float for miles, no roads, no people nothing. Probably right, it boils down to a numbers game but those unfamiliar with the area looking to do some trout or bass fishing may be up to hiring a guide for a day. I think if the price were right it could work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	147206  
Old 02-15-2021, 01:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I think it's worth a shot. There are lot's of stretches on that river that have no access and I'm sure the fishing is good. Start off with the right price and see what happens. Build it and they will come....good luck and keep us posted.