NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

SNAKEHEAD FISHING ADVENTURE IN THE SWAMPS OF JERSEY - Had the Go PRO - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-27-2017, 11:24 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: SNAKEHEAD FISHING ADVENTURE IN THE SWAMPS OF JERSEY - Had the Go PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBeam View Post
Exactly right Jeff............. They are going no where as I said earlier. The State will embrace the idea of the Snakehead as a gamefish....... eventually.

Kill as many you want........ You`ll never get ahead nor maintain/control the population. They are everywhere and are going to continue to show up in more & more waterways as the years progress.
That's a very nihilistic attitude. By following the law, you may slow down this progression. By slowing down, you may be buying time to come up with a solution.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: SNAKEHEAD FISHING ADVENTURE IN THE SWAMPS OF JERSEY - Had the Go PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heronimo42 View Post
That's a very nihilistic attitude. By following the law, you may slow down this progression. By slowing down, you may be buying time to come up with a solution.
"By following the law, you may slow down this progression"

..................... Uhhhhhhhhhh........ Who said I didn`t follow the law Captain Keyboard Commando????? You are a rather presumptuous fella aren`t you?

"nihilistic attitude" eh??? ....... Nah.......... That`s a realistic attitude pal.

Ken-
Old 06-28-2017, 07:12 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Easy big guy, I'm not attacking you. And the "you" i reference wasn't aimed at you, my mistake for not making it more clear.

There's been discussion on this board in the past about killing/not killing snakeheads. I think following the law is the right thing to do until the law is changed or suspended.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heronimo42 View Post
Easy big guy, I'm not attacking you. And the "you" i reference wasn't aimed at you, my mistake for not making it more clear.

There's been discussion on this board in the past about killing/not killing snakeheads. I think following the law is the right thing to do until the law is changed or suspended.

Ohhhhhhhh....... my mistake them...... Thought you were rippin` me a new A-hole......... HaHa! All is good buddy-boy! HaHa!~

Ken-
Old 06-28-2017, 10:50 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Ohhhhhhhh....... my mistake them...... Thought you were rippin` me a new A-hole......... HaHa! All is good buddy-boy! HaHa!~
Not at all. I enjoy reading your posts, blogs and watching your videos. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Let me tell you all something....... You can read all the facts/bullshit about these fish on Google....... but I`ll tell all this....... I have personally caught huge Largemouth Bass standing in the exact same spot that I just landed a Snake in minutes before........ Also I have witnessed Bass dining on Snakehead fry-balls....... chowin` down on the infant Snakes. So contrary to what you read, they are an actual food source as well. And..... you can kill buckets of Snakes....... won`t matter. They are eveywhere....... And this fish spawns a few times a year laying upwards to 15,000 eggs at one time. Like I said,..... Kill as many as you want(personally I find them delicious filleted) ..... you won`t ever put the slightest dent in the population. And personally, I believe you will see the fighting fish become acknowledge as a game fish one day in New Jersey....... just a matter of time. The Bowfin is another amazing fish to catch......... And if you`ve never fished/caught either....... You don`t know what you`re missing.
Ken is absolutely right. I fished for bullseye snakeheads in Florida for years. Caught them and largemouth out of the same tiny ponds that were full of life...bass, baitfish, panfish, frogs, etc. In fact, I caught the two biggest largemouth of my life fishing for snakeheads. The hysteria surrounding the snakehead...e.g., they kill everything...is totally false, unfounded and a work of fiction. Snakeheads are essentially Asian bowfin. They two occupy the same ecological niche, and even look very similar through a process called convergent evolution (teo unrelated species that evolved similar charactetistics because they live in similar environments). The State of Florida researched snakeheads, and found they did not have a negative effect on native species. Largemouth bass also feed on smaller snakeheads.

As for killing them, it likely wont make a difference at all. It is an ineffective regulation. They are found throughout major river systems and associated tributaries. They are here to stay.

Btw, nice fish!
Old 06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: SNAKEHEAD FISHING ADVENTURE IN THE SWAMPS OF JERSEY - Had the Go PRO

Well said!!!

Invasive species need love too!!!

Invasive
Lives
Matter!!!

LOL!!!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie29 View Post
well said!!!

invasive species need love too!!!

Invasive
lives
matter!!!

Lol!!!:d
lmao!!!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

“Embrace The Invasives!!”

I have. Almost the entire perimeter of my property is a thick, impenetrable hedge of Multiflora Rose. Only occasional pruning of the long, arching canes is required.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:06 PM
NJFishing.com Member

The Virginia biologist who is tasked with studying them and documenting any effect of their presence has stated they are not having any negative impact. This includes largemouth. I've known this for a while as many places I catch snakeheads the largemouth fishing has gotten better. The largemouth love snakehead fry conversely snakeheads are eating few largemouth. They primarily eat killies and bluegill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvayxqjrfQ