NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Union County Kayaking Spots? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-06-2016, 12:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Union County Kayaking Spots?

I just got a kayak last week and wanted to see if anyone has suggestions for good places in UC to take it out. I have so far only taken it out on the Rahway River, from the North Union/Grays dam in Cranford up to Rt. 22 and was looking for somewhere new. Is the stretch of river above Jackson Pond navigable (at least up to the dam in Winfield)? What about above Winfield dam (Bloodgood Pond) to the dam next to the parkway in Cranford? How is Milton lake looking these days? I haven't been down that way this year, is it worth checking out or is it choked with algae already? My fish finder gets delivered today so really I was hoping to do a quick install after work and then hit up somewhere local to test it out. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 06-06-2016, 12:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Union County Kayaking Spots?

logs clear out your PMs
Old 06-06-2016, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You may need a permit to kayak some waters in union county.

Quote:

Article II, Section 4(a) of the Union County Public Safety Code states:

No person shall use or operate a boat, canoe, or raft in any park waters without first having obtained a permit from the Director of Parks & Community Renewal, except for those provided by the County of Union. All boats used under a permit shall be plainly marked with a permit number, and no permit shall be issued for boats that cannot be properly stored or removed from County property when not in use. Boating permits are issued only upon completion of application and payment of all applicable fees.

Permit: http://ucnj.org/wp-content/uploads/2...PPLICATION.pdf
Old 06-06-2016, 01:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

You may need a permit to kayak some waters in union county.

Permit: http://ucnj.org/wp-content/uploads/2...PPLICATION.pdf
I know, I already got the permit so I am good to go in any of the UC parks that allow kayaking (like Milton lake). Right now the Rahway River and its impoundments seem more appealing since they aren't as choked with algae (although the river might be running a bit high after yesterday's downpour).
Old 06-06-2016, 01:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
logs clear out your PMs
Cleared!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've always thought the areas above some of the falls on the Rahway looked prime for kayaking or canoeing, lots of pads and shoreline that I'm sure never get touched. Take a look above the falls on Madison Hill Rd. in Rahway in Rahway River Park. I think it's called Middlesex Reservoir. Also, the spot above the falls in Winfield looks beautiful and very untouched.

Also, I have pounded bass on the opposite shoreline from the gazebo by rental the paddle boats at Upper Echo Lake. That's another place to try.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There are Bass in every body of water in union county, some very large bass too! Don't throw your Yak in Clark res! The cops will give you a trespassing ticket! All these waters have been traveled by myself and my friends via raft 25 years ago! Fun times and good fishing!!!
Old 06-06-2016, 04:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishonthelake View Post
I've always thought the areas above some of the falls on the Rahway looked prime for kayaking or canoeing, lots of pads and shoreline that I'm sure never get touched. Take a look above the falls on Madison Hill Rd. in Rahway in Rahway River Park. I think it's called Middlesex Reservoir. Also, the spot above the falls in Winfield looks beautiful and very untouched.

Also, I have pounded bass on the opposite shoreline from the gazebo by rental the paddle boats at Upper Echo Lake. That's another place to try.

Good luck.
I would love nothing more than to drop my yak in Clark (Middlesex) resi however as Eddie pointed out it is off limits to boats (especially during daylight hours). Also upper lake in Echo is one of the few lakes within the county park system where you can't kayak even with a county permit. I think they want the paddle boat rental to maintain its monopoly. The area above the falls in Winfkeld is definitely a possibility although I have fished there a few times without any luck.

Anyone ever kayak the UC portion of the Passaic? It looks like good access in Berkely Heights/New Providence? Would the current be super strong today after yesterday's rain? The Rahway was high this morning but not dangerously so.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You wana launch in area that will make you feel like your in the country? Find White Bridge road, launch the yak and do some exploring! You can thank me later!!! Just a hair northwest of the Union/ Morris county border!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

im guessing you are UC 737 D or something really close to that. thanks for getting the permit, I didn't think anyone else did or cared. make sure you always wear your pfd, even if youre just in 3 feet of water in the river. anyway, onto the important stuff. Ive fished all the aformentioned spots over the last couple years in my hobie revo. I quickly realized it was way more boat than I needed. so I recently got a cheaper 10' perception paddler sit in that's much easier to deal with.

the best spots ive fished are above the dam in Winfield aka bloodgoods pond (thanks jon s for the tip). you can drop in there and paddle all the way up along the parkway to the spillover in cranford. lots of carp everywhere, tough to catch, overpopulated with lots of small bass. bloodgoods gets lily padded up and weeded over really quick. fun to frog fish in the summer. wear long pants and sleeves and go nuclear on mosquito spray(that's anywhere in union cty for me anyway) the river there is a really nice paddle stretch, but not much fish to be caught. you can do the same thing at jacksons pond, drop in and park and paddle up, lots of carp and small bass. when the lake starts to turn to river, stay right. if you go left youre headed for the swamp and 6" of water everywhere. the river stretch there is a little bit of everything. neither the river stretches between bloodgoods or Jacksons for me produce fish better than the lake parts, but i always wind up paddling them anyway.

i hate Milton, never brought my yak there.

my previous house was in clark, walking distance to the ressy. theres no fish in there, you probably already know that. I knew all the people who lived on the water along my stretch. occasionally youll see kids floating there in rowboats, no one bothers them. clark pd has nothing to do with it anymore, its union county owned as of a few years ago. pretty sure the reason its closed is because the county cant figure out a way to get good access for canoes and kayaks. ive pestered the director of parks and rec for years now about it. thanks for reminding me. the ressy is the only really good body of local water im dying to kayak fish. everytime i email him and ask when they are going to open i get a different nonsense answer. i think the best one was when he said its closed to canoes and kayaks because its really deep.