NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Big Swartswood Lake Questions?????? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Big Swartswood Lake Questions??????

This will be my first time heading up this way and have many questions such as how do i get to the boat ramp? are you allowed to fish it at night? what kind of fish are in here? If anyone has any info, can you please PM me? I would really appreciate it
Old 07-16-2014, 08:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Big Swartswood Lake Questions??????

Don't make the same mistake I made the first time i hit Swartz. Pay to get into the park only to find the ramp is outside of the main park entrance and is free. Google map it and its next to the sandy beach down a road just past the main entrance off East Shore Dr. It's a good bass lake, both sm and lm. It's got nice walleyes and cats also. Also all the usual lake inhabitants, pans, picks, perch, etc...

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 07-16-2014, 10:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Things to know about big Swarts- no gas motors, electric only.
Yes, you can fish it at night.
Herring are the baitfish of choice.

In the summer I'm not sure if this ample oxygen deeper than 15-18 feet. The lake is about 40 feet deep in the middle.

When you launch to your left you will see an Island a few hundred yards out and your typical docks with weed beds. Pickerel and LMB area. Straight ahead and to your right is a rocky area with drop offs - SMB and suspended trout. In the evening the eyes come shallow.

Big sandbar with nice dropoffs on the north-western side of the lake where Neldon's brook enters.

If you can find a topo map online you will see fingers and dropoffs, etc.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

just drive past the state park entrance and keep an eye out for a small wooden sign pointing right for "boat ramp". As said its 24hrs and the place is loaded w herring. It is a good fishery, but like alot of places, u have to figure it out or be shown what works there. The locals are sharpies, they are tight lipped. Excellent walleye fishing, but very tough to pattern. Good SM fishing too, again tough to pattern. Electric only and the place is big, 24V systems and larger reccomended. They have bubblers in the summer in 2 locations for O2 and the hoses are kinda marked off, be careful I almost hook them everytime I venture up there. Eyes are best at magic hours and at night, herring is bait of choice as are other classic walleye presentations
Old 07-16-2014, 07:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Does anyone know where the closes bait and tackle shop is that sells herring.Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Simon Peter on Rt 206 North.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Simon peter are a bunch of arrogant D-bags with terrible service... about a mile or 2 south of them on 206 is Andover Hunt and Fish (formerly YOJ Sports) - go there, cool bunch of folks, they'll hook you up
Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have been a Simon Peter customer on and off since 1986.
Have also patronized the YOJ Sports Shop over the years..They're good too.
I don't fish much freshwater any more but there's reasons why YOJ has changed ownership ( less inventory among others )
and Simon Peter continues with the same family ownership over many years.

I believe their philosophy is treat others as they are treated and have always found them to be courteous and helpful. Perhaps US, you should try them again.
Andover Sports is a good shop as well. Neither will steer you wrong.

Wilsea-------I haven't fished Swartswood since 2002 as I sold my 14'aluminum and kept a 21' cuddy in Monmouth County until pre-Sandy.
Wish I had the 14' back.

Anyway------I live 20 mins from Simon Peter Shop. Can meet you at the Dunkin Donuts nearby, or Andover Sports if you wish, to share some info
over coffee. PM me and I'll provide my phone #. I just renewed my freshwater license this year if you can provide me some tips as well.

Tight Lines,
Tom K.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have nothing against simon-peter, its a good store and Ive bought alot of stuff from them over the years, I drive by almost daily headed to work. After YOJ changed to andover hunt+fish they rly stepped up. Last year they had herring when simon-peter didnt stock any ALL YEAR, and they sponsored many ice contests and prizes for the other board thats Ice related, so I support them now. Always support the local shops as much as possible, we cant order herring online, and they dont make much off a dozen, need sales to stay open.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
Always support the local shops as much as possible, we cant order herring online, and they dont make much off a dozen, need sales to stay open.
Good point. I have been in Simon Peter only 3-4x this year, and
Andover Sports not in a long while, not since they were YOJ, maybe last Spring
or early Summer sometime . I remember years ago also getting stuff in their little
building on the southbound side of 206.
95% of my fishing is in salt & I rarely buy shooting supplies any more.
Will try to patronize both more often in my retirement.
Thanks.