NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Spruce Run - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-20-2014, 10:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Spruce Run

haha aww, come on can't we even split one chicken dinner?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

As I mentioned in another post, yes they are still releasing from the res. This is a big contributor to the higher water level and cooler temp on the SBR below Clinton. Not sure why they're releasing but my guess would be to maintain a 'void' in the res capacity to capture heavy storm runoff in the event of a major and potentially flooding rain event. At present the res is only about 2 feet below full, not a major deal. You can track it here... http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv...65,00060,62614
You can track the release rates here... http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv...65,00060,62614

As for the drawdown last fall and in most years late summer, this is first and foremost a water supply reservoir. When the precip rates drop and the mainstem Raritan threatens to fall below a certain level they begin releasing to maintain the level in the mainstem as many cities and towns use the river for their municipal water supply.

The reason that SRR is drawn down before RVR is simple economics, RVR is pumped storage which costs money in the form of electric to keep full whereas SRR is filled by runoff. In very bad drought years you'll often see SRR drawn down over 20 feet before they begin releasing from RVR.

Also, they have 2 outlets to release from RVR to supply the Raritan mainstem. Most know about the pumping station on the SBR below Clinton, but they can also release into the S. Br. Rockaway Crk. They (the NJ Water Supply Auth) maintain a steady release flow into Rockaway as it is since during the construction of the res they cut off the headwaters of the creek and as a result were mandated to maintain the steady release. If you see a spike in the flow rate here... http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv...65,00060,62614 without any rain event to cause it you can be assured it's due to a release from RVR.

The same maintenance flow release holds true for Prescott Brk on the SW side of the res. however this one only gets a steady maintenance release, it's never used as a supplemental flow source for the SBR.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

As someone said, the bigger the lake, the later the spawn although even big lakes can have very shallow coves where water is 4-5F warmer than the rest of the lake. Spruce won't have spawning for quite some time.

I find fishing there - or anywhere - gets better the lower it gets. Fish get concentrated and your odds can only go up. At least that's what I've encountered.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thats funny...we have found the same exact thing at spruce..they really do ball up in a few spots.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Spruce is up 8-10 inch. compared to Monday 4/14 and that's ALOT more surface area covered with water.. my buddys and I been getting pike hybrids and cats from sure...up them cast a lil 150s a good start
Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Fished Spruce Run on Monday 4/21/14 with my brother Tom from noon till 6:30PM.Water was brownish and around 50 deg. It was a sunny day with wind out of the south around 5 mph. We caught 9 pike and one catfish. One pike was nice 38 3/4" 11 lbs 7 ozs rest were 24-27". All were caught on live extra large shinners we also fished JUMBO dead baits with no luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0473 - Copy.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	68344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476 - Copy.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	68345  
Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K View Post
Fished Spruce Run on Monday 4/21/14 with my brother Tom from noon till 6:30PM.Water was brownish and around 50 deg. It was a sunny day with wind out of the south around 5 mph. We caught 9 pike and one catfish. One pike was nice 38 3/4" 11 lbs 7 ozs rest were 24-27". All were caught on live extra large shinners we also fished JUMBO dead baits with no luck.
Nice catch. Nice Mirrocraft.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Spruce Run

Quote:
Nice PIKE dude! Welcome to the site!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
Nice PIKE dude! Welcome to the site!!!
X2

The only time I have caught anything of substance on SPR is with my pal Flatcreek. Love those Hybreds.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
That's awesome Jim. Great pike.

Do you use a wire leader when you're fishing live bait?