NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Opening Day NJ Trout Opinions ? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-31-2014, 09:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Opening Day NJ Trout Opinions ?

Yesterday I checked out a couple of my favorite spots for trout on the pompton river to see what the rain did. It looks like most rivers are ripping as we speak and very muddy. Im hoping the currents and clarity settle by Saturday but it is not looking good with more rain in the forecast. What does everyone think about opening day this year ?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Opening Day NJ Trout Opinions ?

the more rain before or on opening day the better in my opinion.

that way the few trout that do get stocked this year will get spread around and not all just settle in the holes closest to the stocking points. anything that will help stretch out this year's limited season will help.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think I will do the same thing I've done my entire fishing life and avoid opening day anywhere. I don't like crowds. I've seen newspaper photos of 50 or so fishermen in a circle at the bottom of Saxton Falls and thought "how can that be fun?"
Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I did some exploring of the Allamuchy area this past winter and discovered Saxton Falls. Not a soul in sight or even a fish. lol… So when I got home I googled Saxton Falls and saw the pictures of fishermen standing side by side. Wow, that's insane. I said to myself, id take the fish less day over that scene any day. It's a beautiful place though and I will hit it again in the future. Also the river I plan on fishing Saturday looked un fishable as of yesterday. A rip roaring mud bath is all I saw. No chance in catching trout for me if conditions remain as is. It's still early in the week though.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The craziness of opening day of trout season is antithetical to the quiet, natural fishing experience I normally seek when I go outdoors.

But taken on it's own merit, there are a few things I can appreciate about opening day:

-Tradition: I've fished the same pond on opening day twenty-something years. Every year, it's the first fishing I do in New Jersey

-Social: I meet the same people fishing in the same spots on opening day every year. Normally, I wouldn't tolerate other fishermen being close enough to talk to me none-the-less have their elbow in my face when we're fishing.

-Harvest: I would never kill a bass or a native trout, but these trout released into a muddy pond are stocked here with the expectation that they will be taken home.

This year might be different because some fishermen will be forced to find different ponds and rivers because the stocking has changed. Some rivers may be unfishable due to high water this weekend, also. I'll have to wait until next Saturday to see what effect this has. I expect it to be even more crowded.

I am feeling hopeful that the rainy weekend preceding opening day has cut down on some of the pre-season poaching. That's always an issue in Union County and other areas that have a lot of foreigners. (yes I said that)

Last edited by Eskimo; 04-01-2014 at 06:57 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
I did some exploring of the Allamuchy area this past winter and discovered Saxton Falls. Not a soul in sight or even a fish. lol… So when I got home I googled Saxton Falls and saw the pictures of fishermen standing side by side. Wow, that's insane...
Meh, it's typical for an area where stockies congregate on opening day.
I've seen small pools on the Big Flatbrook a lot more crowded than that weeks and months after opening day.

Last edited by Eskimo; 04-01-2014 at 07:01 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I haven't been out on OD since high school about 30 years ago. Fishing to me is and always will be a solo sport and not some social event. Worst day of the year for those who enjoy peaceful fishing alone. That's why I'll be over in Pa on some remote mountain stream miles from the madness.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:59 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

a circle jerk…lol
Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That dam should be torn down as it no longer of any use other than piling up mud behind it. However its considered historic so it will stay in place.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Opening day of trout season in NJ is a tradition for us. I'm glad everyone thinks it's crowded so stay home or go to PA or NY. Try walking 100 yds up or downstream from the bridge or the stocking sign and you'll have the river to yourself.

Yes Saxton Falls is insane and always has been for the last sixty yrs that i can remember. Many yrs ago who was governor at the time would come up to wet a line at Saxton Falls.