NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Manasquan River Trout - Not! - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-21-2011, 01:59 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Manasquan River Trout - Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B.
Yes, the Muddysquan. I too, being used to north jersey mud, have taken a couple of good slides on it!! They are what they are,…..the few trout maintenance streams (cold enough to hold trout over the summer)in the area: ‘Squan, Mingamahone, Toms, North Branch Metedeconk. They ain’t no Ken Lockwood Gorge, but are good for resident anglers who don’t want to travel too far to catch trout year ‘round,…..maybe even an elusive searun in the ‘Squan (also gets all of the State’s surplus browns, in addition to the bit larger, “searun trainees”). Whenever the State has surplus rainbows & brooks, they go to the Hock. & Toms, respectively, as there have been reports of searuns of those species (steelheads & salters), there.

In addition to the ‘Squan’s slippery mud (must have some clay in it?), all have many snags and overgrown banks, making wading necessary to fish them. Many fly anglers use severely shortened blanks, and backcasts, to avoid getting hung up in the shoreline thicket. Very deep holes,…….especially on Toms.

Below is my response to an angler’s recent, age old question: “Went fishing on the day the State stocked it. Fished hard & didn’t get a nibble. Did the State really stock it?”

The trout just weren't biting that day.

The Manasquan River received 650 trout on 10/11/11. All stocking points were stocked.

One of our fisheries technicians was there that day, conducting an angler count. He counted 12 adult anglers, and 1 juvenile @ three of the more popular stocking points: Squankum Dam, Hospital Rd., and Brice Park. No trout were caught on a variety of lures & bait. However, two white suckers were caught on worms.

Those 12 anglers commented to the fish tech., that yeah,..........they saw the hatchery truck stock the trout (some nice ones!). They even saw some of the trout rising,....furthering their frustration.

So, you weren't alone!

Better luck fishing in the future,....I assure you,...they're out there!

Mark Boriek, Principal Fisheries Biologist
Mark.Boriek@earthlink.net

NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife
Bureau of Freshwater Fisheries
P.O. Box 394, 1255 County Rt. 629
Lebanon, NJ 08833

(908) 236-2118 Fax: (908) 236-7280

Visit our website at www.NJFishandWildlife.com <http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/>
Who is responsible for keeping the river clear of debris? There are thirty years of falling trees in it impeteing its flow. I'm talking trees 12"-16". Who can walk in a river that has a tree across it every thirty feet or less?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The trees are good. They are cover and the change in flow digs out holes. Since there is not much of a drop between Freehold and Brielle and very few boulders, fallen trees are about it when it comes to fishy habitat on the river.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by tautog
The trees are good. They are cover and the change in flow digs out holes. Since there is not much of a drop between Freehold and Brielle and very few boulders, fallen trees are about it when it comes to fishy habitat on the river.
That's right,............where the big browns like to hide!!!

Ketcham Rd. (County Angler Access Area) to West Farms Rd. -- An unnamed tributary, which flows through a Girl Scout Camp, enters the river from the northeast. An angler who has fished the Manasquan for many years has reportedly caught sea runs here. He has hooked larger fish and lost them on underwater snags. He uses a “lift and drop” technique with a fly rod and worms.

Some years ago on the 'Squan, there was heavy rain & some homes got flooded. So, Mon. County Mosquito Com. was petitioning to remove all of the snags / obstructions. In the end, they were only allowed to remove those that impeded the flow @ bridge crossings.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I used to love to fish the Manasquan when I lived in NJ. It is all relative...the best trout rivers in New Jersey are mud puddles when compared some of the places I have fished out west....
Old 10-22-2011, 04:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Connor
I used to love to fish the Manasquan when I lived in NJ. It is all relative...the best trout rivers in New
Jersey are mud puddles when compared some of the places I have fished out west....
Just wondering if you are a relative to a Tim O'Conner from Kenilworth, N.J. who was a UPS driver. He past away four years ago. We are friends of his widow, Joan. They are both originally from County Kerry, Ireland. -Cuz-
PS I would not say the Musky, South branch, Pequest and Flatbrook are mud puddles. Lots of clear water and rocks. The North Branch is definitely another major mud hole.

Last edited by Cuz; 10-22-2011 at 04:52 PM..
Old 10-22-2011, 09:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz
Just wondering if you are a relative to a Tim O'Conner from Kenilworth, N.J. who was a UPS driver. He past away four years ago. We are friends of his widow, Joan. They are both originally from County Kerry, Ireland. -Cuz-
PS I would not say the Musky, South branch, Pequest and Flatbrook are mud puddles. Lots of clear water and rocks. The North Branch is definitely another major mud hole.

No Sir, my family hails from the Vailsburg section of Newark. I was born and raised in Maplewood.

Mud Puddles is a relative term...the streams in NJ are trickles of piss compared to the rivers in Yellowstone or some of the rivers in Montana. My favorite rivers are the one's in the rain forest of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. Do not get me wrong, I love the state of NJ and it's saltwater fishing rivals most states in the country...

Last edited by O'Connor; 10-22-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Old 10-22-2011, 10:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
No Sir, my family hails from the Vailsburg section of Newark. I was born and raised in Maplewood.

Mud Puddles is a relative term...the streams in NJ are trickles of piss compared to the rivers in Yellowstone or some of the rivers in Montana. My favorite rivers are the one's in the rain forest of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. Do not get me wrong, I love the state of NJ and it's saltwater fishing rivals most states in the country...
I'm an old Newark boy myself. My family moved out of the Weequahic section when I was in the Navy. 1965. Still have old friends from Vailsburg. But they relocated since then. Beverly Jansak from 18th Ave. And the Townlen family from So. Munn Ave. (The apartments off So. Orange Ave.) Been friends with them since the middle 60's. Seems like last week I hung out in Vailsburg. Use to be a lot of good looking women in that area.
I think city boys have more respect for the country once we find it. I feel so lucky my street life took a right turn once I was introduced to fishing and hunting. I ended up spending all my money on bait, tackle, hunting equipment and boats. My Newark friends spent lots of money on booze and pot. Most sank their ships way too early. And the ones left look like s*** and are in poor health. Thank God for the outdoors he created us to enjoy!
Good luck fishing. Do you also hunt? Do you live in N.J.?
-Cuz-
Old 10-22-2011, 11:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz
I'm an old Newark boy myself. My family moved out of the Weequahic section when I was in the Navy. 1965. Still have old friends from Vailsburg. But they relocated since then. Beverly Jansak from 18th Ave. And the Townlen family from So. Munn Ave. (The apartments off So. Orange Ave.) Been friends with them since the middle 60's. Seems like last week I hung out in Vailsburg. Use to be a lot of good looking women in that area.
I think city boys have more respect for the country once we find it. I feel so lucky my street life took a right turn once I was introduced to fishing and hunting. I ended up spending all my money on bait, tackle, hunting equipment and boats. My Newark friends spent lots of money on booze and pot. Most sank their ships way too early. And the ones left look like s*** and are in poor health. Thank God for the outdoors he created us to enjoy!
Good luck fishing. Do you also hunt? Do you live in N.J.?
-Cuz-

My dad grew up on Norwood street about two miles the wrong way from Seton Hall University. My company moved our HQ from NJ to Los Angeles in November of 2008 and I went as well. I have lived in Redondo Beach, CA since then.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Mud Puddles is a relative term...the streams in NJ are trickles of piss compared to the rivers in Yellowstone or some of the rivers in Montana. My favorite rivers are the one's in the rain forest of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state.
Yeah, yeah, yeah,.......& my favorite ones are in Alaska, where there's daylight 24 hours per day, and, therefore u can fish for salmonids, 'round the clock!!

But I live in NJ,....So, yesterday, on the South Branch Raritan River, caught 2 smallies, 2 'bows & 1 brookie (trout were 16" +),...let 'em all go.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B.
Yeah, yeah, yeah,.......& my favorite ones are in Alaska, where there's daylight 24 hours per day, and, therefore u can fish for salmonids, 'round the clock!!

But I live in NJ,....So, yesterday, on the South Branch Raritan River, caught 2 smallies, 2 'bows & 1 brookie (trout were 16" +),...let 'em all go.
I fished the Kenai and Kalisov rivers in Alaska..caught dolly varden and some chinooks. Still give the nod to the Hoh and Calawah in Washington state. I am glad you caught some fish yesterday.