NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

new waders - Page 6 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-10-2018, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: new waders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drossi View Post
I had a pair of their Streamlight wading boots, after 8 or so years of hard use the outer side ripped. I didn't expect Bean to replace them but called anyway. They didn't replace them which is what I expected. They were past their shelf life so to speak. I was satisfied that I got my money's worth.

yeah I would think 8 years of hard use is definitely your $$$ worth, I think 5 years is the magic time frame. I just stepped up to the LL Bean Kennebec Line, looking forward to using this spring and beyond
Old 02-12-2018, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have owned breathable Hodgeman, Pro-line, Orvis, and now Simms for the last two years. Owned a couple others also but can't remember the brand. With the exception of the Simms which are only two years old they all failed within 3-4 years. Sorry, but the more expensive ones are a little better and have more bells and whistles such as fleece lined pockets but they all suck and will all fail. It's just the nature of the material. As far as boots, I have had chota wading boots for about 15 years and they kick ass. Never a single problem with them, get the carbide tip screws, they are more expensive than the standard but last a long time.
Chris, I know you are starting to get into the great lakes fisheries. DON'T go and fish those streams without screws in your boots unless you like getting wet and bobbing up and down stream in the current.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalinerush View Post
I have owned breathable Hodgeman, Pro-line, Orvis, and now Simms for the last two years. Owned a couple others also but can't remember the brand. With the exception of the Simms which are only two years old they all failed within 3-4 years. Sorry, but the more expensive ones are a little better and have more bells and whistles such as fleece lined pockets but they all suck and will all fail. It's just the nature of the material. As far as boots, I have had chota wading boots for about 15 years and they kick ass. Never a single problem with them, get the carbide tip screws, they are more expensive than the standard but last a long time.
Chris, I know you are starting to get into the great lakes fisheries. DON'T go and fish those streams without screws in your boots unless you like getting wet and bobbing up and down stream in the current.
2 days there under my belt and not wet yet! I'll take that as a challenge! the one spot was a little sketchy i'll admit haha.

I emailed l.l. bean, they basically said they still stand behind their stuff ovbiously, 1 year basically no questions asked and then beyond that they'll still back up the materials and craftsmanship. so basically if the seams fail beyond repair within 5-6 years, i'm expecting them to replace. I don't expect them to last forever, but they better last as long or longer than my $100 ones, that's all.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 02-12-2018, 12:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Talking Re: new waders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
2 days there under my belt and not wet yet! I'll take that as a challenge! the one spot was a little sketchy i'll admit haha.

I emailed l.l. bean, they basically said they still stand behind their stuff ovbiously, 1 year basically no questions asked and then beyond that they'll still back up the materials and craftsmanship. so basically if the seams fail beyond repair within 5-6 years, i'm expecting them to replace. I don't expect them to last forever, but they better last as long or longer than my $100 ones, that's all.

Two days under your belt, lol! I have maybe 400+ between Erie and Ontario tribs. Erie tribs you don't need cleats but they help. If you are gonna fish Ontario tribs and you don't have cleats or screws bring a long rope and plenty of dry clothes to change into.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

eh i'm not spending $40 extra on boots for a trip ever couple of years, i'd rather test my dexterity.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 02-15-2018, 11:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Few quick comments. Cables has a lifetime warranty on waders. And waiders all fail eventually. An Orvis rep told me that typically seams fail after five years, even on the best waders.

I have Frog Togg boots wading boots. They lasted under a year before they fell apart.

And check Sierra Trading Post. They have some good deals.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
eh i'm not spending $40 extra on boots for a trip ever couple of years, i'd rather test my dexterity.
As Arush said dont chance the lake O tribs without some kind of cleats or screws. You can buy carbide tip screws and drill them into any boot. It only takes one time bobbing down the SR above a set of rapids to make you understand that an extra couple of bucks is very worth it. I have Chotas as well and worth every penny after 10 plus years of use. They are my second pair and my son just retired the old ones which were every bit of 15 + yrs.
The screws work everywhere Big D can get really slippery also.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:02 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Since this thread started I looked over my waders from Dan Bailey they arent cheap but you get what you pay for. After around a year they had a slight leak which was from me bush wacking. I sent them back and a new pair was sent to me. That was around 8 yrs ago and since then i have had no issues until recently slight dampness after long periods of standing in the water. I was going to get a new pair since 8 yrs is great for waders. After looking at thier site they now offer to repair any leaks free of charge as long as they arent to bad and they can be fixed. That is great customer service and a company that stands by thier product. I am sending both mine and my sons pair back for the service. I will post the results once i get them back.