NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Smallie search Raritan River - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-25-2016, 03:35 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Smallie search Raritan River

Fished the raritan river on Sunday, launched my kayak at Edgewater Avenue in Raritan, NJ. Went down river, water level was low and had to walk the kayak at on spot. Saw several fish rising, tried topwater lures but no luck. A lot of bait fish around and a lot of carp swimming around. Also saw several crawfish shells. Any suggestions to improve my luck? Should I try farther up river and launch at Duke Island Park? Or should I try fishing from the bank and move farther up river? Thanks for any help!!
Old 07-25-2016, 04:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Smallie search Raritan River

Welcome to the site dude. Did you only try top waters? Definitely have to switch it up until they tell you what the day demands. And yes to your other questions. They never seem to stay in one spot too long so moving and covering water seems to instrumental. And don't count out the branches...the S and N branch have a lot of nice water especially if you have a yak. Google Maps...drive to a crossing...and get in the water.

Good luck and keep posting.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:38 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for the welcome. I have never tageted smallies before, I have senkos, grubs and crank baits, I will try all next weekend. Are there alot of place to bank fish at Duke Island Park? Is the a place to launch my kayak at Duke Island Park? Thanks for the help!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakbassn View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I have never tageted smallies before, I have senkos, grubs and crank baits, I will try all next weekend. Are there alot of place to bank fish at Duke Island Park? Is the a place to launch my kayak at Duke Island Park? Thanks for the help!
http://nynjbaykeeper.org/wp-content/...iveraccess.pdf

Check that out. Think it's a little out of date so I'd check the takeout site u plan on using before heading to the put in. Watchout for ticks. Haven't floated the river with my daughter in a year since she found a couple on her this time last year.

You can also give the big D a shot. Launch at dingman's float to eshback is a nice stretch you can do in four or five hours no problem as long as you don't have a south wind. Just check the river levels beforehand.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thank you for the great info.