NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Best terminal tackle for tuna jigging - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 11-01-2016, 07:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Best terminal tackle for tuna jigging

I'm all set gear-wise. Got the correct reel, rod and jigs. Just how do I fasten the fluro leader to the 65 pound power pro. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thumbs up Re: Best terminal tackle for tuna jigging

Your best bet would be a PR knot however you need a bobin to tye it.
A second good bet/option would be the Alberto knot which is just another way of saying an improved Albright both knots are like a Chinese handcuff tighter you pull the tighter it gets.go's thru the guides no problem don't use a swivel if your gonna jig this way you can wind right on to the reel like a top shot.
Hope this helps check out you tube video on these knots good luck.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Best terminal tackle for tuna jigging

I'm sure this post is going to set up quite a bit of controversary but here is my humble opinion. First off, no need to use Fluro for a shock leader when jigging. The tuna are hitting a moving jig out of aggression and are generally not leader shy like they can be when chunking. Definitely use fluro when chunking. At times it's not needed when there is an all out frenzy but that is not often the case. As far as knots I would recommend the bobbin but you need the special device for that. If you don't have that then I would recommend the reverse Albright or the Alberto knot both using 3 half hitches when done. For extra security a dab of krazy glue helps. I know some guys will swear by the uni to uni knot but I don't find it slim like the reverse Albright or Alberto when passing through the guides. Just my 2 cents. You can YouTube on how to tie those knots
Old 11-01-2016, 09:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Were tuna caught before fluoro existed?....

Sorry to hi-jack thread.....

Rather use a small enough swivel that will pass thru the guides. Braid to swivel mono to swivel.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 11-02-2016, 06:10 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Have not tied a PR but have been using the Improved Alberto for braid to mono. Very slim knot, I've not had one fail yet and it's VERY EASY to tie.

The most critical part of the knot as you'll see in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M is that the braided line must exit out of the mono loop the same way it entered. If not, your knot will slip.

Although I never considered it before, I like Togzillas suggestion above of adding some hitches on each side of the knot for some additional assurance.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 11-02-2016 at 06:14 AM..
Old 11-02-2016, 08:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If ur Tuna jigging the best is use H C & core splice leader , the HC lays flat on reel & will allow for slightly more capacity. It's makeup also allows for more breaking strength per rating .
If u go the solid braid route , then I've found the reverse Albright an excellent knot that if tied properly will serve u well on all inshore & PB tuna uses.
I've used the reverse Albright for over 20 seasons without issue when tied properly . This was our go to knot after much testing for PP which I developed for them when braid was just starting to get popular.
I chose this not claiming to be the best but far more practical then some others.
I've seldom noticed this knot to fail even yesterday wreck fishing off Montauk when I got hook stuck & had to break off the braid broke well above knot !
The key to this knot is simply doubling ur braid into a loop via Bimini twist or spider loop, THEN completing the reverse Albright ! Also minimum 10 wraps starting thru ur loop eye of then thru same eye again with ur leader
Now the tighten slightly the bitter end of ur mono should now be laying flat on ur braid ! Tighten but dampen slightly prior , now use gloves to tighten once in motion do not stop until it can go no further !
Finish off with rolling uni so all wraps R under over loops ! Hit with glue gap filling type & ur done ! Note the uni tightens toward the finished knot !
Old 11-02-2016, 09:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I finally taught myself to tie a bimini loop, so I tie a bimini in the braid, then using that, connect the mono via a yucatan knot. I've also used FG and alberto knots with equal effectiveness. I just find the bimini/yucatan combo to slide through the guides a little smoother.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 11-02-2016, 12:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Improved Albright knot looks like the way to go. Thanks everybody for your input.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

For even a smaller profile i have been using the FG Knot for the last 2 years. It has now become my goto knot for braid to mono