NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Legal Trout Fishing - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-31-2020, 09:14 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Legal Trout Fishing

So I always buy a license and know when the trout season begins. However, what is the last day for trout fishing before opening day on April 11th?

March 11th?

I plan to catch and release anyways...
Old 01-31-2020, 10:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Legal Trout Fishing

From what I know it's January 1st to December 31st. So a 2019 license is valid 1/1/19 - 12/31/19, it covers no dates outsides the year.

Any day in 2020 needs a 2020 license. Trout stamps/fishing is no exception I believe.

Ive seen someone get a ticket for no fishing license in early March. You often see CO around this time of the year; those unseasonably fair weather and warm days of early spring. Anglers who havent bought a license yet typically get busted.

On topic with license dates:

PA has it work a bit differently, where you can by next year's license December 1st of the current year. So I bought my first PA license December 1st 2019, which made it effective for the last 31 days of 2019 and all 366 days of 2020.

NY has it work where the day you buy it, you are granted 365 days from that date. So if I bought my NY license April 8th 2019, it would be effective til April 8th 2020.

Im not sure which of the three works out best.

I like NJ's model because it's simple, buy the license of the year you are fishing in.
The PA one is nice if you wanted to pick up your first PA license and can fish a month free. Would be better if it was changed from December to October tho. A new PA angler could start fishing the fall season for free for paying for next year's license.

if you buy each of the three every year, there's no real difference in effectiveness i guess.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

TCA's are open during the preseason stocking
Old 02-01-2020, 06:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sorry i read wrong, if ur just asking about when trout season is closed for the stocking period, theres some options open (but limited) Shucker is right about TCAs. Also any wild trout stream which isnt stocked is good too.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It's usually closed three weeks prior to opening day....
And PA has the option for a three yr licence with zero discount.....although its convenient as you wont have to remember to git it every yr
Old 02-01-2020, 08:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishy View Post
It's usually closed three weeks prior to opening day....
And PA has the option for a three yr licence with zero discount.....although its convenient as you wont have to remember to git it every yr
https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/Fis...se-pricing.pdf

there's a bit of a discount. For example 5 one-year non-resident licenses is 264$ + the 5 individual purchase fees (which is like $2 every year), while the multi 5-year non-resident is 256$

trout stamp, 5 individual year stamps is $50 and the multi 5 year is 41$

For a ~300$ purchase for a 5 year commitment, you are only discounted around 30$.

I just got the individual year since im not sure if id end up fishing it that often.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:05 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I am buying my NJ and PA licenses today. So, three weeks before opening day is no fish for trout zone. I am getting my equipment in order now and hope to get out a few times before the cut off.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiPaoro View Post
I am buying my NJ and PA licenses today. So, three weeks before opening day is no fish for trout zone. I am getting my equipment in order now and hope to get out a few times before the cut off.
Good luck, anywhere fall stocked last year should still hold plenty trout. I think this week should be nice with warmer temps.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Legal Trout Fishing

Don't forget some of the lakes remain open all year to trout fishing also such as Round Valley. Best advice I can give is pick up a New Jersey Fishing Digest
(this is 2019 cover) and read it front to back as many times as you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1237.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	139997  
Old 02-01-2020, 06:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/Fis...se-pricing.pdf

there's a bit of a discount. For example 5 one-year non-resident licenses is 264$ + the 5 individual purchase fees (which is like $2 every year), while the multi 5-year non-resident is 256$

trout stamp, 5 individual year stamps is $50 and the multi 5 year is 41$

For a ~300$ purchase for a 5 year commitment, you are only discounted around 30$.

I just got the individual year since im not sure if id end up fishing it that often.
Thx ....didnt have the desire or patience to look it up....just went off of memory from the last time I got it....