NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

emptied fuel tank (results) - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 05-28-2015, 11:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default emptied fuel tank (results)

[IMG][/IMG]I bought my boat in 10' the guy before me, I don't know if he ever drained the tank. and am having some problems and thought maybe the fuel. so I decided to empty the tank since it only had a 1/4 tank left . now every season since I owned the boat I always left the tank at about a 1/4 to just under half tank put stabil in there wrapped it up for the winter. any how here is a picture of what the fuel looks like and I think it looks pretty damn good!

Last edited by Bass_Appeal; 05-28-2015 at 08:10 PM..
Old 05-28-2015, 08:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: emptied fuel tank (results)

today i did a compression test
left port bank
starboard
Old 05-29-2015, 12:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

What issues you having? What motor?

Tough to see the fuel condition with the light at that angle. Any sediment or water at the bottom? Odor?

Fwiw I've been storing tanks for years with whatever fuel is left in them after the last trip..... 1/4 tank, 1/2 almost full. Personally thinking the whole condensation thing is bs.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 05-29-2015, 10:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I agree with the condensation stuff. I have found no problem no matter what level it does its winter sleep in.

I do know (and it makes sense) that empty storage will dry out seals. Used to run the O/B and motor cycle engine with fuel hose pulled until it ran dry. Was in storgae instructions. After a few years all kinds of carb problems. Not sure if fuel injection fairs as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
What issues you having? What motor?

Tough to see the fuel condition with the light at that angle. Any sediment or water at the bottom? Odor?

Fwiw I've been storing tanks for years with whatever fuel is left in them after the last trip..... 1/4 tank, 1/2 almost full. Personally thinking the whole condensation thing is bs.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 05-31-2015, 04:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

the fuel had no setiment , no water and i ran the fuel through a paper filter , into containers and the paper filter didnt have any type of dirt or debri on it , clean as a whistle !

as for the problems , i push my throttle to go get up on plane and it has no power , then it will keep gettig little burst of power then back to a crawl ....then get a decent burst of power for maybe quarter mile or so and lose the power again .....out of water it sounds good , under load is when i get the crap !! i cleaned my map sensor , fuel regulator, drained fuel, replaced fuel lines , cleaned throttle body , vst, new filters , new plugs , fuel pulse pump done last year, checked all grounds(cleaned them with wire brush,) i checked the spark getting spark , cannot figure it out !!
Old 06-01-2015, 05:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Did you clean the carbs?? As you know I am having similar issues! Attempt to take boat for a spin the other day showed similar problem! Ran great and I weaves trough the boats in shark river but when I went to throttle up in inlet I had no power!!!! Boat went from 2300 rpm to 3000 rpm with throttle wide open and only increased In Speed maybe 3 knots! Usually 3000 is about half throttle this it was full! Also noticed boat is running much lower rpm at ideal causing to to stall out!!

Mine is on her way home for me to give some long over due TLC and fix problem! If I can find it!!
Check you prop make sure you aren't spinning on hub! With boat off engage into gear and attempt to spin prop! (You should not be able to)

Keep this thread up to date with what you have done ill do same with mine maybe we can figure our problem out
Old 06-01-2015, 05:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

def not the prop ! cause it will get sudden burst and when it gets the burst it runs pretty fast then it will bog out down to a crawl again it also seems to run a little better with cover off ..i wondering if it is computer related ....
Old 06-01-2015, 06:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

if it runs better with cover off i wonder if you aren't running hot!!! when you say running better do you mean normal, or still intermittent burst just further apart?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Year and make of engine please.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-01-2015, 11:09 PM