NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Private launch ramps on Staten Island? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-23-2021, 09:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Private launch ramps on Staten Island?

Bob,

If you take the NYS course you're all set for everywhere. All it takes is a 76% and $10 and you're done 4 Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
I spoke to the Marine Services Bureau of NJSP..
He mentioned I can't go on inland waters currently.
He said tidal waters adjoining NY were ok..
Same answer I got when I spoke to the Conn. marine Police.. Adjoining coastal waters were reciprocal, and if I was ok in NY , I was ok in Conn...

Who knows??.. If I called 4 hours later and another officer answered the phone, I might have been told something entirely different... I will check the online course you mentioned. I will need it in a few years anyway..... bob
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-23-2021, 09:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Bob,

If you take the NYS course you're all set for everywhere. All it takes is a 76% and $10 and you're done 4 Ever!

BoaterExam.com or Boat-Ed.com

Quote:
I spoke to the Marine Services Bureau of NJSP..
He mentioned I can't go on inland waters currently.
He said tidal waters adjoining NY were ok..
Same answer I got when I spoke to the Conn. marine Police.. Adjoining coastal waters were reciprocal, and if I was ok in NY , I was ok in Conn...

Who knows??.. If I called 4 hours later and another officer answered the phone, I might have been told something entirely different... I will check the online course you mentioned. I will need it in a few years anyway..... bob
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-23-2021, 05:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Thank you Capt Frank for your well thought out, and very helpful reply. I appreciate the good information.

Just for the sake of curiosity, I called the NJSMP on saturday morning.. Spoke to a nice well mannered and articulate officer, and asked him the same question I have asked here several times, and to the NJSMP several times as well...

He told me that the bay and surrounding waters of NY/NJ were reciprocal, and that I was indeed compliant with NJ if I am compliant with NY in Raritan/Sandy Hook.. I cannot go into NJ lakes, non tidal rivers etc. I knew this. Probably can't go much further down the NJ coast say Shark/Manasquan etc. Not the first time I have been told this, I have heard it from others ...
However, the same NJSMP has told me not to even try it when I emailed them... Same old story really, it depends on who answers the phone or the email.. I will look into the online courses.

I just find it very odd that I still have not gotten a truly definitive answer from the very agency that enforces the regulations, after a bunch of attempts... bob
This is why I suggested you check out the NJ State Police website.
It states this info in detail

Last edited by tjd24; 03-23-2021 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2021, 01:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
This is why I suggested you check out the NJ State Police website.
It states this info in detail
Where?.. I checked every page every link on the NJSP and the Marine Division sites several times, and really could find nothing at all about my particular situation.. It says nothing about reciprocity on specific coastal zones, or about a person thats compliant in an adjoining state without the
"boater safety certificate".. I would really appreciate it if you would let me know where that information is written, as I have not seen it anywhere..... bob
Old 03-24-2021, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Here you go:
https://www.njsp.org/marine-services...tificate.shtml

Q3 is you... visiting from another state.
A… a BSC from your home state (NYS)..

Hope this helps you?

Quote:
Where?.. I checked every page every link on the NJSP and the Marine Division sites several times, and really could find nothing at all about my particular situation.. It says nothing about reciprocity on specific coastal zones, or about a person thats compliant in an adjoining state without the
"boater safety certificate".. I would really appreciate it if you would let me know where that information is written, as I have not seen it anywhere..... bob
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 03-24-2021 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 03-24-2021, 04:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
Here you go:
https://www.njsp.org/marine-services...tificate.shtml

Q3 is you... visiting from another state.
A… a BSC from your home state (NYS)..

Hope this helps you?
There it is.
I found it right after I read your question.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yes I saw that earlier as well but it doesn't answer the question.

I was told that due to NY/NJ being reciprocal in their adjoining coastal zones, that I could operate a boat in NJ because I was compliant in NY, which I am until 2024.
The wording on Q3 would seem to say, without any doubt, that I cannot..

So again the question i have had the past several years still remains..
I can operate a boat in Raritan Bay-legally. At least as long as I stay on "my side" of the bay.

If I cross the imaginary line into NJ, am I suddenly not eligible to operate that same boat?...The NJSP told me yes I could just a few days ago,stating that the states were reciprical, and in that zone I was legal, but NOT in freshwater.

Their site doesn't mention this reciprosity anywhere that I can find, but their officers have, more than once... So basically. take my chances and see what happens if I get stopped.. Worst that can happen I guess is a fine of some sort...bob
Old 03-25-2021, 09:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Bob,

Perhaps you are unaware? NYS does not require you have any training AT ALL unless you were born after 1/1/1993 as of this year. SO you are NY compliant with no course at all.

Look up NYS Brianna's Law. NY is phasing the BSC in. Eventually as of 1/1/2025 everyone no matter what age will need a BSC in NY too. But right now March 2021 you do not need any training at all. Jersey passed the age phase ins in pre-2008- everyone needs one

That's what he meant.

NJ waters requires you get a BSC, whether NJ or NY, get one. Right now in NYS waters you don't need crap if you're over 28 years old. But if you're in NJ from NYS you need a BSC (whether NY or NJ or CT or PA, etc) you need one in NJ waters.

Quote:
Yes I saw that earlier as well but it doesn't answer the question.

I was told that due to NY/NJ being reciprocal in their adjoining coastal zones, that I could operate a boat in NJ because I was compliant in NY, which I am until 2024.
The wording on Q3 would seem to say, without any doubt, that I cannot..

So again the question i have had the past several years still remains..
I can operate a boat in Raritan Bay-legally. At least as long as I stay on "my side" of the bay.

If I cross the imaginary line into NJ, am I suddenly not eligible to operate that same boat?...The NJSP told me yes I could just a few days ago,stating that the states were reciprical, and in that zone I was legal, but NOT in freshwater.

Their site doesn't mention this reciprosity anywhere that I can find, but their officers have, more than once... So basically. take my chances and see what happens if I get stopped.. Worst that can happen I guess is a fine of some sort...bob
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 03-25-2021 at 09:30 AM..
Old 03-25-2021, 10:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
Bob,

Perhaps you are unaware? NYS does not require you have any training AT ALL unless you were born after 1/1/1993 as of this year. SO you are NY compliant with no course at all.

Look up NYS Brianna's Law. NY is phasing the BSC in. Eventually as of 1/1/2025 everyone no matter what age will need a BSC in NY too. But right now March 2021 you do not need any training at all. Jersey passed the age phase ins in pre-2008- everyone needs one

That's what he meant.

NJ waters requires you get a BSC, whether NJ or NY, get one. Right now in NYS waters you don't need crap if you're over 28 years old. But if you're in NJ from NYS you need a BSC (whether NY or NJ or CT or PA, etc) you need one in NJ waters.
Capt Frank.. Yes I realize every word you wrote.. Thats exactly the point I was trying to make... I AM compliant. I will be for 4 more years..
However, the question is this.. Does NJ recognize my legality in waters that are reciprocal??.. Thats the reason for this entire conversation... If I pass some line halfway out in the bay, am I suddenly a criminal?....

The ONLY problem I have with any of this is the fact that all the launches are in NJ, unless I want to go into Queens or something . [I don't].

I would simply stay on the NY side and fish there.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Without a NY or NJ BSC card you are only legal in NY waters until Jan 1, 2025. After that you're illegal in NY too. You fall into an age loop hole for NY, since NY right now requires know absolutely nothing about what you're doing until 2025. IMO … Hardly a good thing for other nearby boaters.

Curious. Why is this card so problematic to get? Its a one time life time card. NYS BSC is super easy to get too. The whole thing is on the internet. You don't even have to get out of your chair.

Quote:
Capt Frank.. Yes I realize every word you wrote.. Thats exactly the point I was trying to make... I AM compliant. I will be for 4 more years..
However, the question is this.. Does NJ recognize my legality in waters that are reciprocal??.. Thats the reason for this entire conversation... If I pass some line halfway out in the bay, am I suddenly a criminal?....

The ONLY problem I have with any of this is the fact that all the launches are in NJ, unless I want to go into Queens or something . [I don't].

I would simply stay on the NY side and fish there.
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 03-25-2021 at 04:13 PM..