NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

South Jersey Fishing Adventure - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-05-2016, 11:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default South Jersey Fishing Adventure

So I was down Mt. Laurel yesterday for work and since I knew I would be done by mid-afternoon I scoured out some bass spots on my route home. I came across a large state conservation area not too far from my route that looked to have a nice lake in the center. Some online research revealed very little but there was some information on bass fishing at this spot (don't worry not from NJfishing!) so I decided to be adventurous and check it out. Turns out the lake was much farther off the beaten path than I thought. By that I mean there was no path, just endless thorn bushes and deer trails that would dead-end at swamps or streams. I didn't see a soul while I was there and the only sign of life was random deer stands. It took me over an hour and a half to get to the lake, and by the time I did I was exhausted, soaked and torn to shreds by thorns. The lake itself was gorgeous and larger than I thought. There was also a very healthy beaver population in fact I had to traverse one of the many creeks my walking across a beaver dam. I didn't have much time to fish because I did not want to get lost on way back when it got dark and all I managed was a small perch. Now that I know the way I will definitely go back as the lake seems like a hidden gem with amazing structure for bass. All in all it was an adventure. Link below to pics below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...1NfWjJpcWVJQWs
Old 05-05-2016, 03:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: South Jersey Fishing Adventure

Nice. Hopefully your effort will be rewarded.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sometimes those are the best kinda trips. All about the adventure of exploring a new place and less about the catching!!
Old 05-05-2016, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My longest walk ever - 2.3 miles - was to a small game land pond in northeast Pa. Pond had nothing that I could see except red-spotted newts and tadpoles. That was a long 50 minute walk back - in waders. My feet hurt for 3 days. Sometimes you just have to look for yourself.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Its right down the street from my house but I haven't been there in 20 yrs. It used to be OK but alot around here used to be OK.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerringKing View Post
Its right down the street from my house but I haven't been there in 20 yrs. It used to be OK but alot around here used to be OK.
I figured someone might recognize from the pics but didn't want to post anything that would turn up in a Google search. I can't imagine why the fishing would not be excellent in that lake unless it's polluted. I did walk by some Rusty barrels (like the kind that store toxic waste) But they looked like they were dumped there many years ago. Other than that and the deer stands i didn't even find the usual litter or fishing detritus.

Do you happen to know if there is somewhere to park that has better/easier access to the lake? I parked In the small lot on the road that bisects the park and fished the lake on the same side. If it was full summer I would have never made it through the underbrush to reach the lake. It looks like there is also a smaller lake on the other side of the road but I didn't check it out. Honestly if not for my phone and GPS I Might still be wandering through the swamps.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Banned

Nice hope you were able to land a few bass out of there.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

beware of the beavers. doesn't matter,two legs or four they will give you problems. i hate it when you find a place like that and they start that tail smackin routine
Old 05-06-2016, 05:13 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Looks like a honey hole in the making!!