NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

FYI: Winter Trout Stocking Begins November 19 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Old Soft Salt

Default FYI: Winter Trout Stocking Begins November 19

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife's Winter Trout Stocked Lakes Program provides additional trout fishing opportunities during the late fall and winter months. The program is designed to ensure that at least one lake is within easy driving distance of anyone interested in trying their luck on a beautiful winter's day.

The stocking consists of two-year old trout averaging 14 to 18 inches in length. The fish will be stocked in 24 lakes ranging in size from five to 100 acres and with shoreline access and/or boat launching sites.

For more information on the program, including the stocking schedule, visit http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/trtinfo_winter.htm on the division's website.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: FYI: Winter Trout Stocking Begins November 19

Hooks Creek Lake will not be trout stocked, this winter, due to saltwater inundation.

The salinity reading there, today, was 18.72 parts per thousand.

Freshwater is < 0.5 ppt.

All other Winter Trout waters will be stocked.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Looks like my local parks will be gettin stocked, I'll be out there........
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Old Soft Salt

The updated schedule
Looks like these will be some of the chunkier Trout to be stocked.

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife is reminding anglers that the popular Winter Trout Stocked Lakes Program gets underway on Monday, November 19. The program provides additional trout fishing opportunities during the late fall and winter months. The program is designed to ensure that at least one lake is within easy driving distance of anyone interested in trying their luck on a beautiful winter's day.

The stocking consists of two-year old trout averaging 14 to 18 inches in length. The fish will be stocked in 23 lakes ranging in size from five to 100 acres and with shoreline access and/or boat launching sites. Unfortunately, Hook's Creek Lake in Cheesequake State Park , Middlesex County, was removed from this year's program due to saltwater intrusion resulting from the effects of Superstorm Sandy. Its allocation of 200 trout will be redistributed in Spring Lake, Topenemus Lake, and Lake Shenandoah in Monmouth and Ocean counties.

For more information on the program, including the updated stocking schedule, visit http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/trtinfo_winter.htm on the division's website.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B.
Hooks Creek Lake will not be trout stocked, this winter, due to saltwater inundation.

The salinity reading there, today, was 18.72 parts per thousand.

Freshwater is < 0.5 ppt.

All other Winter Trout waters will be stocked.
Mark,

How about stocking some white perch?

Rob
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Received reports that other coastal lakes: Deal Lake, Lake Como, Sylvan Lake & Wreck Pond, were inundated with saltwater, and also experienced freshwater fish kills.

Let me know if you guys witnessed any other such fish kills.

In the future, we will monitor their water quality, & eventually, restock.

Way back when, the NJ State freshwater striped bass record was caught in Deal Lake,............the fish swam in on high water from a storm.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just read that just 10 miles off the coast, NY Harbor buoy, recorded record waves at around 33 ft!!

Not surprising that those coastal lakes had saltwater infusions!

Rob
Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B.
Received reports that other coastal lakes: Deal Lake, Lake Como, Sylvan Lake & Wreck Pond, were inundated with saltwater, and also experienced freshwater fish kills.

Let me know if you guys witnessed any other such fish kills.

In the future, we will monitor their water quality, & eventually, restock.

Way back when, the NJ State freshwater striped bass record was caught in Deal Lake,............the fish swam in on high water from a storm.
Mark,

Do you know how far up into Deal Lake the saltwater made it? I know the creek arms extend almost two miles from the coast.

Very interesting about the state record striper coming out of Deal Lake. Was that before or after the east end was levied and the drain pipe installed? I know any kind of storm surge will back saltwater up into the lake and the stripers will swim up.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 11-15-2012, 02:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty
Mark,

Do you know how far up into Deal Lake the saltwater made it? I know the creek arms extend almost two miles from the coast.

Very interesting about the state record striper coming out of Deal Lake. Was that before or after the east end was levied and the drain pipe installed? I know any kind of storm surge will back saltwater up into the lake and the stripers will swim up.

I received a photo of a dead, 36" muskie from the Sunset Ave. Bridge. An angler, that I know, lives on Deal Lake about as far as you can go, westward on the southern-most arm in Asbury Park. He reported many dead carp & distressed LMB's, N. Pike & Blk. crappies. Guess that they were all swimming to the freshwater source,.......which I know is fairly minimal, under normal conditions, for that lake.

Not sure of the exact year for that FW striper record. Had to be the late 1970's. I believe the previous, or subsequent FW striper record, to that one, came from Union Lake. NJDF&W had stocked pure strain stripers there for a period of time.