NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Channel catfish stocking: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-05-2019, 10:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Channel catfish stocking:

Does anyone find in necessary to stock Channel Catfish ?
How much time and money is spent on catfish ? I picked up the 2019 NJ Freshwater Fishing Digest and I see the state stocks a boat load of Channel Catfish, why ?

Not only does the state stock a trillion Walleye in the Delaware river every year I see they also stock Largemouth Bass. I thought the bass were only stocked in lakes ?

I see also the continuation of Northern Pike stocking on the Millstone river on top of the struggling American Shad population in there, that makes a lot of sense !

Tiger Muskellunge in Lake Musconetcong also !

Last edited by AndyS; 01-05-2019 at 11:20 AM..
Old 01-05-2019, 04:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Channel catfish stocking:

Those channel cats and lower river lmb keep me fishing down here when nothing else is biting.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I don't see the issue stocking these fish. I don't think they are super expensive to raise and even though I don't fish much for those species myself, other people do. Would rather have our license money used on this than put into some general fund somewhere to be pillaged by politicians(gangster)
Old 01-05-2019, 05:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Angry Re: Channel catfish stocking:

Must you poo-pooh everything F&W does? Channel cats get big and can survive almost anywhere, unlike your precious stocked rainbows. It offers great potential for anglers to catch a big fish if they just want to toss out a nightcrawler and relax.

It's beginning to look like nothing F&W could do would ever make you happy. And if they know that, they'll stop trying.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 01-05-2019, 05:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I believe the state stocks them in a lot of urban ponds where they are able to survive much better than a lot of other fish as well ponds that see a lot of kids fishing derbies ect. Only one way to get kids into fishing is to give them a fish that is easily caught. The boys in Hacketstown do a great job in the diversity of fish they raise, not all our favorites but have to cover all species.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Channel catfish stocking:

Yes but they stock these same "urban" ponds with trout also, so what is the point ?
I don't poo-poo EVERYTHING F&G does, just only 75% worth
Old 01-06-2019, 12:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I guess the point is the state has a lot of people to make happy. If they are sponsoring an event for young anglers at a pond in Woodbridge, Edison or Rahway and sending a stocking truck out , they better have something in it. Maybe a mix of fish, some trout, some bluegill and some catfish. Two out of three species will survive for awhile, giving returning fisherman and women a chance to continue to fish, thus potentially creating a new crop of fishing enthusiasts. We as hardcore fishing guys and gals would rather have the fish stocked in streams, ponds and lakes that we like to visit, but the state has a responsibility to spread the fish out. Sure a lot don't make it or are harvested, but same goes with historic trout streams and resiviors in the state. Remember we lived in NJ. Quite honestly , NJ fishing is pretty good for the state we live in.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I got no problem with it. Ive met many folk fishing for them specifically, with success, so no need to think they're stocked for no reason.

Not to mention that they're a nice fish to catch when fishing for bass in the Raritan.

Out of all the fish stocked they're probably the most underrated.

Also take a look at njBands' near state record channel cat. Great fish. Channel cats have their place.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Yes but they stock these same "urban" ponds with trout also, so what is the point ?
Duh.

Perhaps, so urban anglers can catch trout in the spring & channel cats year round?
Old 01-06-2019, 09:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Rather they stock more fish that actually survive in those lakes and ponds than waste it on extra trout there .
Only thing your doing with large portion of trout stocking ponds is feeding egrets

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club