NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tips for the Delaware - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tips for the Delaware

Very true, the Big D does get loaded up with tubers and paddlers during the summer. All will quiet down very soon.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:51 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Find some fast water and you will find some Smallmouth! Careful not to get in to deep and swept away I always put on my shorts and old sneakers and wade the shoreline casting and floating Hellgrammites for hours of fun! Screw those tubers and rafters that’s the nice thing about fishing in the fast water they come and go quickly and the fish don’t seem to be affected by them! Throw on your shorts, old sneakers and a PFD and be prepared to have a blast
Old 08-22-2019, 08:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Used to fish Frenchtown to Bulls Island a lot. Caught smallmouth, largemouth, channel cats, stripers and walleye. Used to catch a lot of nice smallmouth first thing in the morning on topwater anywhere in that stretch.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I appreciate all the info fellas! Very excited to fish the river much much more in the (hopefully) near future. For once I'm actually happy for Fall to arrive

I'm also just about starting a minor restoration project of an aluminum jon boat, it's somewhere in the 12'-14' range but I don't have exact measurements yet. Would I be alright with just an electric trolling motor in those sections? Trying to avoid buying a gas motor but I'd rather be safe if that's the better option.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
I appreciate all the info fellas! Very excited to fish the river much much more in the (hopefully) near future. For once I'm actually happy for Fall to arrive

I'm also just about starting a minor restoration project of an aluminum jon boat, it's somewhere in the 12'-14' range but I don't have exact measurements yet. Would I be alright with just an electric trolling motor in those sections? Trying to avoid buying a gas motor but I'd rather be safe if that's the better option.
Get to know the river first. Some parts might be slow enough, but you can get in trouble really quick. Trolling motors cant overpower the current in many areas.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTuna View Post
Get to know the river first. Some parts might be slow enough, but you can get in trouble really quick. Trolling motors cant overpower the current in many areas.
Definitely. This boat won't be ready for quite some time anyways, it needs to be sanded/sealed/painted and i might be putting some kind of a deck on it as well. Then I have to get it registered. But good to know a trolling motor may not be enough, guess i'll start saving! Safety is definitely on the top of the list.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:16 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Looks like you are branching out Hookmanski!!!! From good old Glen Gardner to the far reaches of the state. Helgramites are about $14 for 12 of them on 31 but they usually last thru a few fish (you will catch using them, kinda like fish crack!!). Good old Voorhees misses you.

Good Luck and let me know when you are heading down to Delaware. I live in P'Burg and can shoot down and meet you for some fishing.

Talk to you soon.
Hunter (aka Joe Tucker from Voorhees)

"Life is good.
Eternal life is better
."

<>< <>< <><
Old 08-23-2019, 10:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Save $, and do in the Del. R. and some of the streams that feed it, just as described:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcBvjyulJuo

And, if you collect a Marginated Madtom (small species of catfish),.....big smallies love them more than hellgies.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Big D is the most underfished water in the state.
Being in frenchtown puts you in the middle if 2 of its best sections.
Fishing from reigelsville to Lambert Ville is awesome .
Can catch smallmouths ,largemouths,channel catfish,flathead catfish ,walleye ,stripers.
All worthy fish of putting up a good fight.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 08-25-2019, 07:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hi the Delaware this past Friday, caught 20 smallies, 2 over lbs. River conditions were perfect.