NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

1st smb at mc - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default 1st smb at mc

Hey all.
Hit MC today. First time there and first ever smb!
Started off at the DMV to get my boat license, yes you need a boat license stamped on to your drivers license for fresh water? go figure.
headed south to the bait shop, picked up a dozen herring and a dozen shinners.
Made my way down to MC. First time there so got lost a bunch. Luckily for a guy in a tractor to point me in the right direction. arrived at about 11am. got the boat in the water and started trolling. marked some fish and started/tried to live line. First time doing it, following instructions from Wilson and AndyS, dropped anchor but still drifting. Don't know how you guys do it but I had a hard time. If that wasn't enough, picked up the tip of my rod and broke! All I could think about is I AM A Rookie! tried live lining for a while, looked across the water and see both my herring on top of the water being dragged. My wife calls me, she is waiting for me to pick her up at the dock. She wanted to hike a bit before fishing. pulled up my lines and changed over to trolling, white grub on jig, on my broken pole. 1/2 way back my drag goes off. I thought it was a snag at first, how my day was going. looked back big bass goes air born. Once then twice. the guy fought hard and long. Took a pic and released. First SMB ever. Measured out to just under 20".
Got back to dock picked up wife. headed out. Made it across the lake and it started to rain/ thunder. Had a hard time getting back with 20ib thrust. Decided to call it a day. Happy about the bass but still not feeling so hot about the trout, since the goal was to target them today. I really want one!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photosmb.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	48424  

Last edited by ken jan; 05-24-2012 at 09:51 PM..
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 1st smb at mc

Sweet bronze back man! Congrats on what will hopefully be the first of many more!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Love how them smallies fight, Good Job!!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: 1st smb at mc

I have two anchors with 80 ft. of rope on each but usually anchor in about 50 to 70 fow. Be careful up there, the lake is on top of a mountain and the wind is always cranking ! I now carry 2 batteries and went from a 36 lb. thrust motor to a 46 lb. thrust motor.

At least you got out and found the place and hooked up, nice bass btw.

Don't forget to go to the Visitors Center also.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:22 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Your not kidding about the wind. Luckily I was able to get close to shore. We started up at the visitors center very beautiful place. I'm thinking to upgrade to a beefier engine. I was at 80fow with one 15lb anchor and 100 feet of rope. Whats your anchor weight?
I wanted to anchor closer in but I wasn't marking any fish?
When i was out i thought i recognized your boat. Yelled out to you, but it wasn't you. see you out on the water next time.
Ken

Last edited by ken jan; 05-25-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

beauty smallie!