NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Low Profile Baitcaster…. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-27-2023, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Low Profile Baitcaster….

Having a fluke rod built for the wife and looking at some low profile reels.

Weight is the biggest consideration. I’m trying to make this rod n reel combo feather lite.

Usually fishing 50 FOW or less. She prefers a paddle handle.

Stuff I looked at but don’t currently own so some input would be appreciated…..

Penn Squall 8.1 oz
13 Fishing Inception 7.5 oz
Diawa Coastal 8.1 oz
Abu Revo 9.5 oz

Thanks boys!

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 12-27-2023, 02:36 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Low Profile Baitcaster….

Abu Garcia pro max 7.3 ounce. Great casting. I have a couple for sale brand new in package 40.00 bucks..also. Silver max 40.00. spros. Sinkers jigs. Rigs. Toms river.
732 710 7678
Old 12-28-2023, 08:45 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Was in the same boat as you... Had a really nice light rod and wanted to match it up with something on the smaller and lightweight side to balance with the rod.

Was at a show and got a deal on a small quantum energy which they no longer make... Cool feature on this reel was the flipping switch. When the switch is on it allows you to press the thumb bar to let line out and when you release it the reel engages and you don't have to turn the handle. Nice feature for dropping back to Fluke and letting more line out if you can't feel the bottom.

Never thought I needed a flipping switch but it's now my go to reel and I use it for tog jigging as well. Not designed for salt water but mine is going on 4 years now with no corrosion issues.

They now make the Quantum Accurist with a flipping switch so you might look into that... 18 lbs of drag, only 7.5 ounces and at $120 it's worth considering too...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-28-2023 at 09:05 AM..
Old 12-28-2023, 10:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Mid priced
Abu Garcia Max 4 40 low profile

Higher priced
Abu Garcia Revo. Beast low profile 40

Reels look pretty much the same , guts inside the Beast LP are little better .

I bought a bunch of the Max 4 for when I have company on the boat .
For inshore stuff I see very little difference in the performance .
I do change both reel handles out to a power handle

Max 4 has 24# drag
Beast has 30#

Not that you ever need that kind of drag fluking , but what it gives you is strength when your breaking off a snag to not ruin the reel inside or bend a shaft .

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 12-28-2023, 05:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks boys appreciate the feedback.

Capt Dan looking at the Revo hard. Gotta get one in my hands. Thoughts on the Penn low profiles? Personally not a fan but this is hers not mine and they are light as hell looking at specs.

Gerry, got an Accurist as a gift and so on the fence with it after one season. Never landed anything over 6lbs on it but just didn’t trust it for some reason if that makes any sense??? Just feels like it wants to grenade in my hands. I’m prob completely wrong but just an observation.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 12-28-2023, 06:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Thanks boys appreciate the feedback.

Capt Dan looking at the Revo hard. Gotta get one in my hands. Thoughts on the Penn low profiles? Personally not a fan but this is hers not mine and they are light as hell looking at specs.

Gerry, got an Accurist as a gift and so on the fence with it after one season. Never landed anything over 6lbs on it but just didn’t trust it for some reason if that makes any sense??? Just feels like it wants to grenade in my hands. I’m prob completely wrong but just an observation.
The two reels I posted are both in the same case as the Penn 300.
Difference is in Penn series they went with higher gears .
I personally like the lower gears in both of the Abu line .

Gear size in the Penn low profile are tougher to fish , and absolutely have more hand strain .

We have tried to get them to make the 300 and 400 in lower speeds , but seems the Florida boys have more input

Old 01-03-2024, 06:42 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I have the Penn Fathom 400 low profile and it's a little bigger and heavier then I'd prefer @ 14 ounces and it doesn't balance well on my lighter rods. The weight and bulkiness tends to want to flip the rod over in your hand...

The 300 is Fathom is 9.2 ounces so better but as Dan said the lowest gear ratio on the 300 is 7.3:1 so a bit too fast... The Revo beast 40 is 9.5 ounces but is 5.8:1 which is good...

I still however think 9.5 ounces is a bit too heavy for what you're looking for. I would want to go as light and small as possible and you don't need the 30 pound of drag the Fathom and the Revo offer at the higher weights. It's not worth the trade off in my opinion.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 01-03-2024 at 06:51 PM..
Old 01-04-2024, 06:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
I have the Penn Fathom 400 low profile and it's a little bigger and heavier then I'd prefer @ 14 ounces and it doesn't balance well on my lighter rods. The weight and bulkiness tends to want to flip the rod over in your hand...

The 300 is Fathom is 9.2 ounces so better but as Dan said the lowest gear ratio on the 300 is 7.3:1 so a bit too fast... The Revo beast 40 is 9.5 ounces but is 5.8:1 which is good...

I still however think 9.5 ounces is a bit too heavy for what you're looking for. I would want to go as light and small as possible and you don't need the 30 pound of drag the Fathom and the Revo offer at the higher weights. It's not worth the trade off in my opinion.

Honestly don’t think you’re going to be able to tell 3/10 of an ounce in hand .
That weight is the larger teeth on the gears .

No one needs 30 pounds of drag to fight a fish . Anyone who can tie good knots def needs 30 pounds of drag to break off a snag in the rough stuff , without bending a spool shaft .
The higher ratings on the drag keep the reels from blowing up .

Old 01-04-2024, 07:59 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
Honestly don’t think you’re going to be able to tell 3/10 of an ounce in hand .
That weight is the larger teeth on the gears .

No one needs 30 pounds of drag to fight a fish . Anyone who can tie good knots def needs 30 pounds of drag to break off a snag in the rough stuff , without bending a spool shaft .
The higher ratings on the drag keep the reels from blowing up .
Agreed on the 30 pounds of drag but it sounds like this set up is for his wife, it's going on a very light rod and he wants to keep it as light as possible. I have the Quantum I mentioned above @ 7 ounces on a custom Mark Berry United Composite blank. It's also on the smaller side and not being top heavy, it gives that pole such a different feel. People pick up that pole and always comment on how light and balanced it feels.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 01-04-2024, 04:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Agreed on the 30 pounds of drag but it sounds like this set up is for his wife, it's going on a very light rod and he wants to keep it as light as possible. I have the Quantum I mentioned above @ 7 ounces on a custom Mark Berry United Composite blank. It's also on the smaller side and not being top heavy, it gives that pole such a different feel. People pick up that pole and always comment on how light and balanced it feels.
Beast LP Is about 2/3 the size of our NACL are . It’s tiny , but weighs what it does because it has quality gears in it .