NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

blocking up a boat - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default blocking up a boat

Getting ready to bottom paint for the first time.What is the proper way to block a boat. Boat is on a trailer and I have a backhoe and straps.I have never done this and want to do it safely.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: blocking up a boat

How big of a boat? I have a pretty big (heavy) 21ft on a roller trailer. I lower the front of the trailer/boat as far as I can, then put blocks in the back of boat. I use double row of cinder blocks on each corner with a few pieces of 4x4s so the blocks dont scratch the boat. Then lift the front of the trailer as far as i can, which in turn lifts the back of the boat off the trailer. Then I paint the bottom that is off the trailer. Let it dry for a few hours, then repeat the process putting boat back on trailer. Then I do reverse, raising front of trailer/boat as far as I can, then blocking the front of the boat, and lower the trailer down and paint the rest of the bottom. Hope this helps, I've done the whole process of removing the trailer from under the boat and it sucks... good luck, go slow and having a few buddies to help makes it easier/safer.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Having a backhoe can save a lot of moves w the jack. First I would back the boat off the trailer about a foot. Second hook a strap to the tongue and take the weight off the tongue jack w the hoe, Make sure wheels are chocked! Level off the tongue to horizontal and lower to ground . Block the rear of the boat. Now here's where you have to be a
SteadyOperator!
Remember to keep any left/right movement to nothing or you may shift the rear blocks!
Strap the foward third and lift it off the trailer, pull out the trailer and block the bow. Sounds real easy, wish I had one when we did it last year.
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 03-29-2013, 02:51 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Agree with MrAC.

Did this project last year with a 24' Grady.

I used a 18" piece of 4x4 on top of a piece of 2x12 in each of the stern corners this was on top of cement blocks.

In the front 3rd of the keel used 2x12 on top of cement block.

I can send you pics if you like.

Then follow the process MrAC stated. I had to use a hydraulic jack under the tongue of the trailer so that I could get it lower than the trailer jack would allow for.

It was a little scary at first, but after doing it once, it was pretty simple.

Take your time

John
Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

thanks for the replies. very easy w/ backhoe.blocked back up first.use strap to carefully lift bow up, pull trailer out and block bow.