NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Upper Musky - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Upper Musky

Fished for three hours and caught 8 very small brookies on butterworms. Seen lots of trout feeding on surface flies which I believe were March browns.
I heard the Musky gets the majority of the bigger stocked fish. Everyone I seen with a stringer had 11"-12" fish on them. All the fish I saw in the water were also really small.
Thank God for Maui Jim sunglasses. What a difference using real glass lens sunglasses compared to plastic lens. Everyone I meet that owns them loves them. Like the saying goes, you get what you pay for. My optometrist will not carry any other brand. That says it all for me. I now own four pairs of different color lens and styles. Best glare cutting glasses I ever used.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Upper Musky

I own a half dozen different styles of Maui's.......amazing optics and I agree:VERY strong glasses!

If you'd like to try another brand of VERY high-quality polorized glass, look up REVO sunglasses.

Aint cheap (but you know what you have to spend for the best quality), but I personally feel the glass that REVO uses is even better than MJ's.

Capt. JJ
Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Friday i picked up two nice 3# browns... my father down stream got a 3# and a nice fat 4# brown..

all i saw was larger fish mostly browns but some nice bows mixed in

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife1980
Friday i picked up two nice 3# browns... my father down stream got a 3# and a nice fat 4# brown..

all i saw was larger fish mostly browns but some nice bows mixed in
That's unbeliveable for low water fishing. Congratulations are in order. Please convey my thumbs up to your Dad. PM me with what bait worked best.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Try Costa 580's Cuz, it will let you see where the big ones are . Those MJ only letting you see the little ones

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 04-16-2012, 03:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Saxon Falls and down was packed with large fish.. I went from there to stevens state park.. nice fish there as well.. then moved into center of H-town.. saw lots of small ones but a few nice fish there as well..

RFA

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Musky doesnt get a majority of the bigger stocked fish.. I would agree that their are certain spots in the musky that get more bigger fish dumped in that other spots along the route.

Also drivers and people who stock have their own method. Some ask for all the big fish to be in one tank / some ask for them to be mixed in.

You may get a driver who has the 70 brood stock in one tank and he will dip and personally place where the big fish will go since he thinks they will hold up the best based on water conditions.

Some dont care and its scoop and throw.

I have stocked the muskie numerous times and its get the same amount of brood stock just like all the other brooks.

If I was to say the stream that outweighs the scale in my opinion its the black river. They get the same amount of big fish with less stops since the brook is smaller than the others.

I have stocked the pequest, paulinskill, flatbrook, black river and musky.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

All of my bigger fish that i have caught this year has been out of the Musky.. Fished the SB, PO, Black river, and NB... By far the largest has been from the Musky.. They threw in 6 nets on friday at saxon falls.. Friend of mine watched it happen.. all the fish looked bigger then what was in there for opening day..

RFA

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife1980
All of my bigger fish that i have caught this year has been out of the Musky.. Fished the SB, PO, Black river, and NB... By far the largest has been from the Musky.. They threw in 6 nets on friday at saxon falls.. Friend of mine watched it happen.. all the fish looked bigger then what was in there for opening day..

The fish that went in last week and this week will be bigger than opening day.

Saxon falls hole gets about 200 - 250 fish each week.

This is the week of the slobs

Once the brown trout start getting stocked, thats the end of the big fish. Last three weeks sometimes four, the stream dont get any more big fish.

Good luck..