NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trip of a Lifetime - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Trip of a Lifetime

Tropic Star for sure. Read Guy Harvey's book "Panama Paradise". Friends have been there and describe the fishing and accommodations as fantastic.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'd opt for San Diego...we did a long range trip on the Excel back in '99...was great...would love to do another one...don't know if it's still offered, but one could fly down South and meet the boat, cutting out a 2-3 day boat ride...I think the hot spot--Reivelligas(I butchered the spelling)is still closed to all fishing by the Mexican Govt....

Then, there's always Guam!!!
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 AM
Site Sponsor

Check out Panama Big Game Club, going there this February !
(609) 870- 4592
Old 10-14-2010, 06:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Connor
Yes, I live in Redondo Beach, CA now. Have you been on a long range trip Andy? San Diego has by far the nicest fishing fleet in the country. Those boats are unbelievable. The only thing I worry about is the boredom on the 2 or 3 day boat drive down to the fishing grounds. I have been considering this as an option...check out this party boat....www.fishintrepid.com. boats out here are much nicer then the one's back home. I guess they have to be if you are going out for 10 days.
What Andy said. That to me would be the trip of a lifetime.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My trip of a life time would be fishing Cairns Australia for grander black marlin followed by fish New Zealand for yellowfin tuna & trevally.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Trip of a Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Rich Adler
Check out Panama Big Game Club, going there this February !

If I was heading back to Panama, I'd go with Capt. Rich.

Any trip is going to depend a lot on your budget. Do your homework and make sure the place fits what you want. I have been doing trip to Central America since 1996, to many different location, mostley Costa Rica. Some have been great and some have been not so great. A lot will also depend on who you go with. Not such a great adventure if you have one or two guys in your group that want to complain about everything. Some go to fish and some go to party. Go with your eyes and mind open and enjoy, as you said it is the trip of a lifetime!

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I only did one trip like this 6 years ago when I finished my undergrad, figured i owed it to myself

I did Alaska and it was absolutely amazing. I will be trying something warmer next time. This way I can drink beer while sunning my mammoth mound of masculinity.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

all great suggestions..thanks guys. I have been to alaska, caught halibut over 100 lbs, some nice salmon etc. Anchorage is only a three hour flight from los angeles and I know a lot of people that fish kenai Peninsula on extended weekends. I will fish up there again, but trolling for salmon and bottom fishing for ling cod, halibut etc is not the end all trip for me. The party boat the Intrepid out of san diego is running "mothership" trips down to Panama...fly to panama city, meet the boat and take off on a ten day fishing trip. that is a new possibility.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsy Guy
I'd opt for San Diego...we did a long range trip on the Excel back in '99...was great...would love to do another one...don't know if it's still offered, but one could fly down South and meet the boat, cutting out a 2-3 day boat ride...I think the hot spot--Reivelligas(I butchered the spelling)is still closed to all fishing by the Mexican Govt....

Then, there's always Guam!!!

they now fish a place called hurricane bank. I saw the red rooster come back one day with a yellowfin tuna over 300 lbs. I could not believe what I was looking at. I am amazed that they land these fish from an anchored boat, no getting off the ball, no chair etc. In talking to a bunch of people that have caught giant bluefins, marlin, big eyes etc many will tell you monster yellowfins over 200 lbs caught stand up from an anchored boat on these trips may be the toughest fight in the world.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I worked the deck aboard the Apollo for the 1999 season which was one of the best on record in SD. There's rarely a day that goes by that I don't think about those days of pitching live dine and chovy to tuna exploding off the transom, sticking one head shot after another, and hosing down a bloody deck but it can be a bit of a grind - and not just for the deckhands! For a trip of a lifetime I think I'd like to get off a rocking boat at the end of a day of killer fishing, take a hot shower and enjoy a few cocktails before doing it again the next day - I'd go for Panama!!!!