NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fall Trout - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-15-2021, 09:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Fall Trout

A buddy and I hit the Paulinskill today with high hopes of fat fall trout. Started before 8 to decent fall flows and limited leaves. 8 to 1...1 trout. Lunch and back on river 330-530 ZERO trout. Hit all the spring spots that normally produce...beautiful almost summer like day but the catching sucked. Tried the kitchen sink today and I'm pretty sure I didn't have a trout hit all day . Didn't see any either
Old 10-16-2021, 07:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Fall Trout

These big trout are unlike their 10 inch stocked trout counterparts. The small fish need to feed readily after being stocked, the larger fish have built up body fat and go weeks without feeding. Remember these large fish have been eating pellets for what, 3 or 4 years. Don't get discouraged, head out November 1st after the leaves are gone and these fish start to put on the feedbag.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Fall Trout

Should have seen the circus on the Musky on Wednesday around noon. They had just stocked a popular bridge pool earlier that morning. A couple of fish seen on stringers and 12 -15 guys walking through the center of the pool, guys casting spinners from shore, what a s - - t show. I was just going by, no way I would subject myself to that. How all these over 60 guys got the word that it was being stocked that morning, including a car from Pa. , I have no idea. Almost identical situation on Thursday. Surprised if some guys don't just wait with a net, to catch the trout as they are dumped out of hatchery net!
Old 10-16-2021, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Got some redemption on the Ramapo this morning. Got there o dark thiry and nothing for at least the first hour or 2 despite some fish swirling around. Finally located them at the back of a pool and went to work with trout magnets. Got 5 in short order and left feeling satisfied with a keeping a few for the smoker.

Like Andy mentioned these fall trout are not the spring type, they are larger and definitely don't act hungry or interested in most offerings yet seem to bite reactionary.

Cooler temps coming and the winds will have the rivers filled w leaves so I'll be on the sideline now til November.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Fall Trout

It was great when the State used to stock Brown Trout and Brook Trout in the fall, those trout had serious LOCKJAW for about 3 weeks. The Rainblows seem to be more reactionary strikes, like you said.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My friends and I went out twice..sections of the pequest and Rockaway. We could SEE the fish... sometimes they would chase. Trying to get em to bite was a different story. Best things that worked for us (we each had 1 to 3 each at each location).
Trout magnets or Joe's Flys. Here are some pics. My buddy by far landed his PB Bow. 21' long. 11' wide. Ide say a solid 4lbs maybe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_235344.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	153743   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_234817.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	153744   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_234633.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	153745   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_234604.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	153746  
Old 10-17-2021, 12:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzguy2 View Post
Should have seen the circus on the Musky on Wednesday around noon. They had just stocked a popular bridge pool earlier that morning. A couple of fish seen on stringers and 12 -15 guys walking through the center of the pool, guys casting spinners from shore, what a s - - t show. I was just going by, no way I would subject myself to that. How all these over 60 guys got the word that it was being stocked that morning, including a car from Pa. , I have no idea. Almost identical situation on Thursday. Surprised if some guys don't just wait with a net, to catch the trout as they are dumped out of hatchery net!

crazy, and based on this I wanted to give props to the number of guys who fished the Ramapo this morning in Oakland. I was on the river at first light and within and hour there were at least 5 other cars in the lot. Not one single guy came and crowded me in a spot where most knew the fish would be. I fished for 3+ hours by myself and turned the spot to over to another older fisherman who picked my brain a bit in a nice conversation and I saw him reel one in as I was packing up.

One other side note, on the my last fish of the morning I reached for my net only to realize it was gone Must've come unhooked and floated down the river. On the way out I was engaged in conversation by a couple in an SUV who said "did you lose your net?" I said yes I did why? oh we saw it you put it down? and watched it float down the river Thanks for the head up
Old 10-17-2021, 04:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Don't get discouraged, head out November 1st after the leaves are gone and these fish start to put on the feedbag.
But, but, but Andy...it might be cold at that time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8EsqZbYg1Q
Old 10-17-2021, 06:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Vitale View Post
But, but, but Andy...it might be cold at that time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8EsqZbYg1Q
SMACK- SMACK! classic video
Old 10-17-2021, 07:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Fall Trout

I worked with Tom Pagriolli long ago at Efingers in the fishing department.