NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

From NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Exclamation From NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife:

Despite the excellent fishing conditions on opening day, the trout were barely biting in most of our trout-stocked waters, leaving many anglers questioning whether trout were stocked. While anglers turned out in good numbers to fish their favorite waters and enjoy one of the most beautiful opening days we've seen in some time, the results were often disappointing.

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife assures the public that all trout-stocked waters received their pre-season allocation during the three weeks prior to opening day, and the trout were stocked at all the usual locations by experienced and reliable stocking crews. More than likely poor angler success over the opening day weekend was the result of high waters when many of the fish were stocked, which dispersed trout more than normal and colder than usual temperatures that made recently stocked trout less active.

By all accounts plenty of the fish stocked pre-season are still in the water and no doubt will begin biting as the water warms. Trout anglers undeterred by the unusual lack of success on opening day should see lots of action when conditions improve and newly stocked trout join pre-season trout still in the water. The best is yet to come.

Trout stocking continues over the next seven weeks, with brook, rainbow, and brown trout being liberated into nearly 200 trout-stocked waters statewide.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: From NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife:

Theres tons of trout in the rivers and streams of NJ. Trout are a fish you can usually count on! I believe that trout fishing is great in NJ at least 9 months out of the year. Thats my take on the trout situation in NJ!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Old Soft Salt

While I don't doubt for a minute that the rivers were stocked, as was said by others and me, it was a very frustrating day.
Fishing on opening day with some savvy NJF guys and almost no fish(Andy caught one)
Fast Eddie has caught more fish in 2 years then I've caught in 4!
Shucker and Outofline have been around the block a few times.
Something is fishy here.
Cormorants have come up a number of times..... and I seen em too.
I guess the state thinks the catching sucked as well if they issued that statement.
Only Mr..... and counting will dis-agree with this thread
Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

No doubt opening day morning was horrible, I didnt catch my 1st trout until 1 in the afternoon. But while traveling through 3 counties on opening day and talking to 50 different anglers during the course of the day, my assessment is this, some rivers were hot while others were not!!! Anyway I havnt been out since opening day, work is crazy right now. Looking to get out this weekend, Ill fish for anything, trout, stripers, shad!!! I LIVE TO FISH!!! TIGHT LINES!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

So far the trout season has been humbling. Still, I remember the same thing happened last year; the rivers were high on opening day and fishing that day was horrible. All the fish that would normally be on stringers remained in the river, and by the time May rolled around the waters lowered, the temps warmed, and the trout fishing was sick! Let's just be patient and remember that stocking continues through Memorial Day.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was out today at three different reliable spots that produced in the past. Whites Pond in Waldwick I fished for two hours and not a pick up. Last year this time we were hammering them. There were surely plenty of commorants though. They are definitely a major problem that is growing.
I went to Silver Lake...again no fish in addition to not seeing a fish caught. Last year we were getting Winter Stocked rainbows and freshly stocked brookies from Opening day on.
The Pequonock was hot opening day and the day after. Even got a native. Caught around 20 stockies. Mon Tues and Wed not a strike.
Sheppherds was a bust Opening Day but the commorants were there in droves.
Wallkill and Rockaway have been slowwwwwwwwwwwww.
I really cant say its the weather.
Who knows for sure.

Last edited by Perfect Drift; 04-13-2011 at 08:32 PM..
Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Im looking forward to the crabs biting. I have given up both salt and freshwater fishing.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLongo
Im looking forward to the crabs biting. I have given up both salt and freshwater fishing.
Can I have your rods?
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I personally have not fished for trout at all yet, opening weekend I was called away to the salt and from reading the reports I am somewhat happy about that. With the rivers and streams in the condition they are in right now I have not even bothered although I have had the opportunity.

Usually the stockies are pretty reliable but you have to remember trout are a very tricky and finicky fish..even the stockies. the smallest change could turn them off...water a bit too high or too muddy/dirty/murky, a change in water temperature by a degree or two, weather patterns, and on and on and on...and from my personal experiences these changes affect both stocked and wild fish for the most part...soo although trout fishing might not be red hot right now..keep in mind the general poor conditions at the moment...give it time
Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty
Can I have your rods?
You'll look pretty in pink