NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Advice Needed - Too long out of action - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-27-2012, 11:39 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Advice Needed - Too long out of action

Hey there -

As a kid I fished just about any NJ body of water that had life in it....but most in a little creek across from my house that had plenty of little sunfish..and once in a while a rainbow trout. As an adult - I go up to Canada once a year - about 10 hours North of Montreal to LaCroix <sp?> near Chibugamu to go for Walleye and Pike. Nothing like the supreme untouched natural surroundings complete with Beaver <the dam building kind <grin> and Loons flying overhead. At night, the Northern Lights are visible It's a looooooong way to go for solitude - but nothing like it here.

Anyway - I want to break my 15 year old son into this game...so I can take him to Canada for our yearly trip. I know how to buy Medium action tackle at any Tom Dick and Harry sporting goods store. I know how to tie a knot and tie one on......I even know how to bait various hooks. What I do not know and do not want to waste precious time to learn - especially if I can get the help right here - is where in Morris county to take him where we can have a successful trip casting from shore.....As a kid, my dad used to take me to Spruce Run for the killer bass - and I used to fish Diamond Mill in Millburn and the resevoir upstream (just leave a six-pack at the caregivers back porch). I'm sure things have changed since that time.

Could some kind hearted soul give up a decent spot that I can take the kid to that will generate some action and have him fall in love with the best sport in the world?

Many thanks in advance........

CaptAdv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lacroix.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	50105  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Advice Needed - Too long out of action

If your 15 year old hasn't shown any interest in fishing the first 15 years of his life why do you think he will now? I'm not saying that to be rude or anything, I just think that going from no fishing to a 15 hour drive, multi-day trip with someone who doesn't enjoy it, especially an angst ridden teen anger, might be asking a lot of him.

I'd say take him on a day party boat for bluefish. He can catch plenty of big fish and his arm will be sore. If that doesn't get his blood pumping for the sport, not much else will.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:24 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baetis
If your 15 year old hasn't shown any interest in fishing the first 15 years of his life why do you think he will now? I'm not saying that to be rude or anything, I just think that going from no fishing to a 15 hour drive, multi-day trip with someone who doesn't enjoy it, especially an angst ridden teen anger, might be asking a lot of him.

I'd say take him on a day party boat for bluefish. He can catch plenty of big fish and his arm will be sore. If that doesn't get his blood pumping for the sport, not much else will.
Hey there -

Thanks for the reply. I probably could have specified - He has shown an interest - we don't drive 15 hours - we fly in on a waterplane <no roads>.....he's not angst ridden -.... but I appreciate your concern.

Bluefishing is boring and requires no skill IMHO. I'd rather teach him how to fresh water fish - BEFORE - we go to saltwater. Having said that - I certainly can dream of a trip to the dry tortugas for mutton and cobia......we used to live in FL andI did that every month.....

Seriously - all I need is a good spot to cast from shore where we will have a decent shot at some bass or trout.

Thanks again....

Captadv
Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Look into the Passaic River. Plenty of accessible shoreline along its 80 mile course. Great Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Northern Pike, Catfish, Carp, Panfish, Stripers, etc. fishing depending on where about you want to fish. There are literally TONS of reports on here that should help you. It's what got me back into fishing after my high school/college horndog homones wore off .

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 PM
NJFishing.com Member

adv...i posted the same question a while back except my oldest in 7...didn't get much feedback except to try the Passaic..which is also near you.

My son's not yet past the bobber/worm stage but I've caught a few small bass, a few small pike and a very large crappie (bigger than the bass and heavier than the pike) on the Passaic along the Essex County border.

Other than that recommendation, I don't have anything to add. Would like some more advice.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Passaic yes hopactong too pike walleye and swipers night is better on the lake, check out google and pick some water, many places around, might be time to get a small boat or a
Few kayaks would be even better, that's two hobbies , one sport
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm not from Morris county, so I don't have any honey holes to send you to.

You might want to consider a 1/2 day canoe/tube float down the Delaware with your son. You have an opportunity to catch a mixed bag of decent fish. Smallies fight well in the river. Plus, you and your son can admire bikini clad girls floating down near you.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would rent a boat and give Lakes Hopatcong, Cranberry or Musconetcong a shot.

Pound for pound i'll take a bluefish over any sweetwater fish as far as a good tussle is concerned. MedHeavy freswater tackle using poppers, bombers or metal. Awesome!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

not from morris county but recommend you check out the nj fishing game wildlife website it will list all morris county places to fish and then you can use that list and go to google earth and see views of the lakes should help
Old 06-27-2012, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

there's a million ponds and almost as many brooks and streams in morris county. they all have fish in them. as was suggested take a look at the NJDFW access points pages at
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fishplc.htm#morris
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fishstrm.htm#morris

also, check out the WMAs in the area
http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/wmaland.htm
many of these have streams, ponds, etc on them. you can fish them any time you like, but to be courteous and avoid ruining hunts for people it is best to stay out of them later on in the year when waterfowl and deer seasons are open

ask if you have any more specific questions