NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lake Hopatcong 6/23 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-25-2012, 11:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Lake Hopatcong 6/23

Myself and OUTOFLINE Matt hit the big lake at 530 saturday for the Knee deep contest. Started off fishing for LM and Smallies. We headed toward State park area, first cast with my new BOO-YAH spinnerbait. LM and a big one, 5 lber, I think I'm locked up with this fish and all of the sudden he jumps out of the water and gets off. I look at my brand new spinnerbait and see that I didn't remember to take off the stupid plastic hook protector off the damn hook. Well, well, well that would explain why I didn't get the fish in the boat. I was pretty anxious to get out and fish and it caused a mistake that costed me placing in the tourney. With that fish right there i would've been in the money. Moral of the story is make sure you take off the STUPID PLASTIC HOOK PROTECTOR before your first cast of a contest. Anyway, the show must go on, we fished our asses off, Matt got his first LH slab crappie at 12.5 inches a couple of smallies and assorted panfish when the sun was up. We couldn't get anything to weigh in while the sun was up after I MUFFED the LM!!!! Fished until 330 in the morning, Matt got the first Hybrid of his life. I myself got some Walleyes, 4 to be exact, but nothing big, the eye I weighed in was 22.5 inches and 4.2 lbs. Got a couple Hybrids as well, the Hybrid I weighed in was 22 inches and 4lbs 12 ounces. It was great to watch Matt catch his first SLAB CRAPPIE and his first LH HYBRID! I muffed a good fish and it cost me but it doesn't matter anymore because the contest is over and when I look back at it its just another contest and I still have the memory of a GREAT NIGHT OF FISHING on the one and only LAKE HOPATCONG!!!!! GOOD TIMES, TIGHT LINES!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Lake Hopatcong 6/23

sounds like good times nonetheless. I been using alot of those booya's myself, I love the closed eye on them, its hard to find SB that have them in the stores, Dicks is usually sold out of the better color/sizes that the only retailer I seen them at. And i too have forgotten to pull the red tube off more than once, sucks it was a money fish! good job man
Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanx buddy! The new Dicks by me on rt 22 in Union/ Mountainside has a ton of Boo-Yahs on the shelf.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks again FE for showing me the ropes on the big lake. Had a blast!
Hit me up when if you need company next you head up there!
Matt
Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Lake Hopatcong 6/23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofline
Thanks again FE for showing me the ropes on the big lake. Had a blast!
Hit me up when if you need company next you head up there!
Matt
YEA BUDDY, Ill have some pictures of your monster crappie up here later on. You should post your Striper on here for the world to see. I have pics of the Crappie and the lil Smallie you wacked. Delaware river saturday, if you can't get your first Walleye outta this spot then Im taking your St Croix!!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Dude I can't tell you how many times I've opened a lure and started casting with the plastic still on the hooks lol. thank god ive never gotten a bite like that though
Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I grabbed 2 of the booyah frogs last week and they worked real good in the weeds/pads on swartswood last week. Im really likin the booyah baits and their chatterbait is good too used that last year alot down deep
Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 PM
iceehot6766

Don't feel so bad Eddie, I also ph*cked up this weekend, partly my fault.....I lost not one but TWO monsters(both over 4.5 pounds largemouth) fishing from a jonboat for the first time this season...sitting so low using a 6'9" rod it was difficult keeping tight line as the fish neared the boat and one jump, she looked at us, gave us the finger and got off..Th feeling is tough.......I was totally silent(more like pissed off at myself) for awhile afterwards and usually I am always talking, happy, enthusiastic,positive.....Second one my line was wrapped around the top of the rod while drop shotting and as I was unwrapping it I felt a small tug(I figured I was in weeds or snagged) so I set the hook and out of the water 20 yards away from the boat jumps a friggin HOG and as she lands in the water my line snaps at the tip of the rod where I didn't unwrap it....It was a drag but the show must go on.....Don't worry there are plenty of more days of great fishing left this year....You'll get em next time(and so will I....guaranteed!)...Have a great day
Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Eddie, that reminds me of when I used to go hunting. Once in a while a bird would get up, I'd pull up my shotgun, put the bead on it, pull the trigger... nothing. Forgot to take the safety off.

Tough break on the LM, but I'm sure it won't be long before you're hooked up with another lunker.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Lake Hopatcong 6/23

Heres a couple pics, Matt with his 1st LH Smallie and Slab 12.5 inch Crappie. Then me with the 4.2 lb Eye that wasn't big enough and the Wiper 4 lbs 12 oz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07818.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	50029   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07819.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	50030   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07820.JPG
Views:	316