NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The end of a fishing access, Pohatcong, NJ! - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: The end of a fishing access, Pohatcong, NJ!

From the looks of it as long as you dont step on land you should be able to access it.

From my understanding is local residents complaining to the town which in turn putting pressure on the railroad company. I have actually camped out there for 3 days 4 weeks ago and been visited by cops at let 6 times. I think we have met the whole police department while we were there. They were very professional and pleasure to work with since they could actually see that we came with a mindset of leaving the place better than we found it. At least 7 garbage bags of trash were removed that weekend.

Now i dont thing permits were doing anything at all. We own 18,19 and 20 and were really suprised that they cost nothing to obtain when we got them. Most ppl are just to lazy to drag their trash out, why not have pay for the permits and have a dumpster on site. All ppl i know will be more than willing to pay for them.

Now i have friends fishing there on Saturday. I dont know who visited but police officer was extremly aggressive toward everyone who was there. First he actually came down toward the river which in all my years fishing there is the first (never seen police officer cross rail road tracks) and second keeping your weapon unholstered with a hand on a gun is a bit of an overkill for me.

While I understand frustrated residents, some system should be worked out where it will be beneficial for all.

Andre
Old 05-26-2020, 12:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: The end of a fishing access, Pohatcong, NJ!

I’ll be there fishing eventually, via boat. It’s a short ride from the closest boy launch. Easy peasy.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:00 PM
dakota560

My recollection is the overnight parking permit wasn't to generate revenue, it was to keep the trash from partying at night and not cleaning up after themselves. To do that, at least initially, you needed a current fishing license and fishing pole to get the permit at the Municipal office which was their way of making sure not just anyone walked in off the street to get a permit. The cost was also if you didn't have one and parked at night, you were going to be ticketed and the police officer I spoke with said your car would be towed. So in essence the fee was the cost of a valid fishing license and the risk of being ticked and towed. Not an iron clad system but that was the logic explained to me when I first got my permit.

Pohatcong has slightly over 3,000 residents. Shame 28 miles of prime shoreline are no longer available because of slobs and probably a few residents complaining. I understand the complaints from locals when people crap in their backyard but there's other ways of controlling it without closing down access to the entire river system. Put in a curfew, no activities allowed other than fishing after 8:00 pm or you'll be fined $1,000. No liquor allowed after curfew. Guarantee one ticket and you won't make that mistake a second time. Word will get out and this crap will stop.

Lesson we already know is a few can and will ruin it for all of us. You see not just illegal fishing or littering call F&G or the police. The fact there was a meth lab operating there years ago might have something to do with the police officer having his gun unholstered, just wanted to mention that. Only takes walking into one wrong situation for someone's life to change forever. The amount of trash I've walked out of there with from the rocks and street side on a beautiful stretch of river was unconscionable and complete disregard for nature and everything else.

There's a place I fish which is semi private but the owner allows fishing for a modest fee. People who he allows there have to display the permit he had printed the same as your fishing license. As with everywhere, there's a lot of people who try fishing there illegally and keep every fish they catch. You know the type I'm referring to. It got out of control. And like Pohatcong, they leave all their crap behind.

The people allowed to fish are only approved by the owner and now act as deputies to watch over the place. If anyone sees someone without a permit, you don't confront the person you call the owner and he has an arrangement with the town where police show up every time and people are asked to leave. Warning first offense, second time equipment is confiscated and they get the privilege of meeting the town judge. Area is posted and trespassing and illegal fishing is not an insignificant fine. System works beautifully. No altercations, law enforcement does their jobs with the public's help, county raises revenue for those that don't comply, great relationship developed between private landowners and fishing community, the people who have no regard for the outdoors are penalized, not the ones who act to preserve and enjoy it recreationally. Something Pohatcong might consider adopting as opposed to completely closing access to a large stretch of the river. Turn a negative into a positive instead of penalizing the people who care about the community.

Last edited by dakota560; 05-26-2020 at 02:05 PM..
Old 05-26-2020, 01:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Tom,

I remember the meth lab so i can see your point. Still i think it was excessive considering that we had interactions a month prior with local police force without any issues.

Ideas you mentioned are excellent and hopefully we all be able to work together in order to maintain that fishery that we have.

Andre
Old 05-26-2020, 02:04 PM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrushkin33 View Post
Tom,

I remember the meth lab so i can see your point. Still i think it was excessive considering that we had interactions a month prior with local police force without any issues.

Ideas you mentioned are excellent and hopefully we all be able to work together in order to maintain that fishery that we have.

Andre
Andre I completely agree with your situation. Problem law enforcement has in the world today is one wrong decision is all it takes. I don't envy anyone wearing a badge in this world. Didn't mean the police officer couldn't have handled your situation more tactfully, meant there are officers who have walked into what looked to be a benign situation and paid a price. That as well as the location which I think we're talking about has a less than stellar reputation.

Wasn't coming at you.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
Andre I completely agree with your situation. Problem law enforcement has in the world today is one wrong decision is all it takes. I don't envy anyone wearing a badge in this world. Didn't mean the police officer couldn't have handled your situation more tactfully, meant there are officers who have walked into what looked to be a benign situation and paid a price. That as well as the location which I think we're talking about has a less than stellar reputation.

Wasn't coming at you.
Tom,

I know you werent so its all good there. And it is the location that you think. I wasnt there personally, had friends that were, just was suprised how it was handled considering to all the other times where we had interactions with local law enforcement. Not being negative about it, just suprised.

Tight lines brother,

Andre
Old 05-27-2020, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree with both of you. It's definitely bothersome to me to say the least, let alone one of the property owners, to have to A: see trash left by scumbags, B: have to clean it up if you'd like to enjoy the outdoors and NOT sit amongst mounds of trash, and C: have the situation escalate to the authorities shutting it down because others are too dirty or lazy. Props to Dre & Tom, and whomever else keeps clean and does what they could to help. Surprising that this is going on elsewhere and not somewhere here on the Passaic. I can say for this exact reason is why I try to keep my personal fishing spot as clean as possible, as well as the entry/access to it. It's not my property, the more mess that's left behind by others leaves more reason for the owner to eliminate the access to prevent everyone from using it. So I clean up.
I've tried to be kind with others who do leave their trash while on the river. At times it worked. Other times they disregard and continue even after I've gotten verbally firm with them explaining that there'll be repercussions if continued. I.e. One of the spots I fish has homeless that live there. They are slobs and the trash around shows it doesn't bother them. On another board I read fisherman complaining about bums throwing bottles past their head and making it a scary/sketchy place to fish at this same spot. I've 1st hand witnessed this problem & after trying to be nice with these same "scary people", took it further and got a little scary myself. There's now no longer a group, but just one bum that stays there. So long as he remembers the time we spent together and keeps up with what that brought the others, the spot is totally fishable now. Fish on!
This Pohatcong spot is a great stretch of a spot. If they are able to eliminate anyone from being there, they can easily shut down one of your favorite spots as well, be it urban or not, evidently. We need to take this spot as a lesson, and maybe try to help make sure this doesn't happen to one or all of your other spots.

Last edited by Esox Luciano; 05-27-2020 at 11:36 AM..
Old 05-27-2020, 06:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Myself and a local lady broke up a Meth lab a few years ago. It went down in March. The 2 idiots went to jail. Myself and quite a few other anglers from NJF took home mounds of garbage all the time. We did our part and it still wasn’t good enough. Unreal!!! The memories made on the rocks will never be forgotten that’s for sure.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Angry Re: The end of a fishing access, Pohatcong, NJ!

That really sucks. It seems like a lot of good fishing spots in Hunterdon County are crowded with fisherman and just people in general since the Covid. I know the spot you are talking about but never fished there but I was planning to. I guess now that isnt going to happen. I was told that they are going to fix up the railroad tracks and make it a tourist attraction. That whole area is going to change now. More people from the city. It seems like all of a sudden people are discovering Hunterdon County! It was just a matter of time I guess. Tight Lines
Old 05-29-2020, 07:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detour66 View Post
That really sucks. It seems like a lot of good fishing spots in Hunterdon County are crowded with fisherman and just people in general since the Covid. I know the spot you are talking about but never fished there but I was planning to. I guess now that isnt going to happen. I was told that they are going to fix up the railroad tracks and make it a tourist attraction. That whole area is going to change now. More people from the city. It seems like all of a sudden people are discovering Hunterdon County! It was just a matter of time I guess. Tight Lines
I grew up in hunterdon, lived there almost 20 years and you're right, the cats out of the bag! Couldn't believe how many people I saw fishing when I was last out that way.

This whole thing really is a shame.