NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

RIP Jon S - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default RIP Jon S

saw this on another board and know he was relatively active here. he was one of the 1st njfishers I met at the Passaic kayak pike athon a couple years back. the guy was one of the most important figures in nj as it pertains to kayak fishing(if that really means anything, sounds weird to even write). anyway, there's more info on the other kayak fishing related boards. really sad stuff.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: RIP Jon S

Found out about Jon's passing yesterday from a close friend of his. Though I never fished with Jon, I had the pleasure of picking his brain and swapping tips with him many times at his store, on the phone, and at the Pike-a-thon a few years back at the river (which he generously offered to contribute gift cards for the winners). There's no doubt he's had a huge impact on the kayak fishing community, especially here in NJ. He will be missed.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 09-29-2016, 09:41 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Definitely a pioneer in the kayak fishing world. I'd walk into his Fairfield shop to pick up a small item and would always end up walking out over an hour later because we'd start bs'n about yakin and fishing. He was in it for all the right reasons. Sad news.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 09-29-2016, 09:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I am deeply saddened to hear about Jon's sudden passing.
I first met Jon when I bought a kayak at the Fairfield Kayak Fishing Store. I was enthralled to meet the guy who literally wrote the book on kayak fishing and have him set up my kayak. He gave me an autographed copy of his book. He had an incredible amount of information to share and gave it freely.

I friended Jon on Facebook and joined his online fishing group, but I never went fishing with him. I guess I was intimidated by the prospect of fishing with such an expert.
Rest in Peace Jon. I hope there's big fish in heaven.

Here is the book he wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Fishing...ords=Jon+Shein

Old 09-30-2016, 07:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

RIP Jon and thank you for all you've done for the Kayak fishing community! Rest easy brother! TIGHT LINEZ!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 07:24 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

From the Heroes On the Water NJ Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/HeroesOnThe...PAGES_TIMELINE

Heroes on the Water - New Jersey Chapter with Jon Shein.

We have some sad news to share, one of our volunteers and supporters, Jon Shein , passed away suddenly but not before volunteering one last time at our Mid-week Lyon’s VA Hospital outing at Picatinny Lake yesterday. Jon volunteered with HOW often and he touched many lives in and out of the kayak fishing community including many of the kayak fishermen & women who volunteer with us. It’s a huge loss to the New Jersey Chapter and we send our sympathy and heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:04 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Wow...Saddened to hear of his passing. RIP Jon. Thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-30-2016, 11:07 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Had the pleasure of fishing with him at a pike a thon few yrs back. He was targeting carp on a fly rod, i was blown away. Huge loss to the kayak angling community
Old 09-30-2016, 11:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Like almost everyone else, I was in shock when I heard this news yesterday morning. I have known Jon since the early days of KFS and he has been a good friend ever since. I have been on too many trips with him to remember all of them, but the first real trip we went on, was an AMAZING trip to kayak fish in Alaska. It was Jon, Joey Cambria (his partner in KFS) and 3 other guys from the west coast.

Add in another 100 trips to Montauk, Monmouth Beach, J-Bay, Raritan Bay, Passaic river and local lakes and all I can say is that this is going to be tough to handle.

I live about 2 minutes from the store he had in Fairfield and spent many hours with him there as well

If there is anyone that kayak fishes in this part of the country......regardless of if you have ever met him or not.......HE, is one of, if not, the main reason that this sport is what it is today.

I am so glad that I have taken so many pictures of our trips to remember him.

Here is Jon with a smallish halibut, of many bigger ones landed in Alaska more than 10 years ago........you will be missed !!

Old 09-30-2016, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

back when i started fishing i had no boat. i went to a knee deep club meeting and Jon was the speaker and talked about kayak fishing in saltwater, sharks, freshwater all kinds of stuff. Before that i would have never thought of fishing from a kayak (which i just assumed and pictured as unstable). Anyway Purely because of this i got myself an inexpensive kayak to fish from and 10 fold increased my fishing experiences and catching of number and size. I've since gotten my hands on a Jon boat obviously but although i only spoke to Jon that one time in person and never fished with him he had an impact on my fishing life and i'm thankful for that. So thanks Jon! RIP
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54