NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Pohatcong River limit - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-26-2016, 12:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Pohatcong River limit

Very low water so I had to wade to find some pools. All held trout. I did not see large numbers and was disappointed. F&G stated two weeks ago they had surplus trout to stock. Haven't seen any better fishing in all the different rivers I have fished. Not to say that the fishing the last month hasn't been quite good for me. I just had high expectations there was going to be better numbers. Appears to be the same numbers no matter where I fish. Wish I knew what bodies of waters got the extra fish.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Pohatcong River limit

Pretty sure when they have surplus they spread them out on the bigger river. When they stock a couple thousand trout in the pequest, musky, south branch it's hard to notice a couple hundred extra especially when they stock miles and miles of river. Any single spot might only receive a few extra trout
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 05-26-2016, 08:10 AM
NJFishing.com Member

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/wk7trt16.htm

Found this today
Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareriver View Post
Pretty sure when they have surplus they spread them out on the bigger river. When they stock a couple thousand trout in the pequest, musky, south branch it's hard to notice a couple hundred extra especially when they stock miles and miles of river. Any single spot might only receive a few extra trout
You're right on the mark with that 'D'. Particularly on those largest rivers even when they get an extra 1,000 fish, when spread over tens of miles that amounts to maybe an extra 30-40 per stocking point. Not a strongly noticeable difference in larger water bodies.
Given this is the final week of spring stocking and only the primary waters are being hit, and it's leading into the big holiday weekend plus the NJ Free Fishing Days being only 2 weeks after, I suspect you'll see a great abundance of fish going into those majors rivers this week.
Also unlike past years when the surplus fish didn't begin leaving the hatchery until week 6, this year they began supplementing stockings on an 'as allowable' basis in week 4. By that I mean if they had room in the trucks on a given day/run they would load extra fish as space permitted. Occasionally a truck would be so heavily loaded the driver would be hard pressed to reach his first couple of stocking points just to alleviate the overcrowding in the tanks to avoid any loss of fish due to oxygen depletion.