NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

10 hours of pickerel and bass.... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-21-2016, 11:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 10 hours of pickerel and bass....

Long friggin day and I'm beat. 10+ hrs slogging through mud, climbing over logs and battling fish. Fell in the water twice but at least it was warm. Covered about 4 miles of shoreline. Always said overcast days are best and today was proof. Can't ask for better fishing conditions. Took bass off of nearly every stump. Pickerel were everywhere else as I just fell shy of 200 today. lol. Pads are getting thicker and stealing my lures. Lost about $20 worth today

https://goo.gl/photos/fCe25qV9HhsSwdzS9
Old 05-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Banned

Default Re: 10 hours of pickerel and bass....

Nice pics and good report, keep whacking & stacking those slime darts & bucketmouths.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

holy cow that's a whole bunch of slime darts. who took more lures the slime darts or the lilly pads.love those stump dwelling largemouths.good report.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
holy cow that's a whole bunch of slime darts. who took more lures the slime darts or the lilly pads.love those stump dwelling largemouths.good report.
Marathon days beat ancestry.com. Gets us in touch with those ancient roots!
Old 05-23-2016, 10:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

are you sure, i think ancestry beat them out in the end
Old 05-24-2016, 01:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
Hard to say...pickerel wrap around the pads(actually its Spatterdock) and then its a game of tug a war until "snap". I can usually retrieve the fish/lure by wading out to them but I only wade out so far before the water starts to get near the top of my boots. Its kind of my own fault losing lures. I have switched to 6lb from 8lb to get more casting distance but by doing so I'm sacrificing line strength. I will say though they extra 10+ yds does make a difference since i can cover more water.

I'm starting to think the very short ice fishing season(two weeks maybe?) allowed more pickerel to survive since they have high mortality through the ice. I'm closing in on 1200 pickerel already and that's about what i got all of last year.