NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rough day, river rescue! 6/27/20 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-30-2020, 07:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Rough day, river rescue! 6/27/20

Saturday, June 27th.......

A warm summer day with a chance of T-storms usually results in me going Catfishing. Flatheads are one of my favorite summertime fish. They fight really good and rip some drag.

Did some stuff around the house in the morning and ran some errands. Fixed the lights on the new trailer and all that fun stuff. Headed out to catch bait at a spot kinda local to where I was launching. About an hour passed and I had a full bucket of Green Sunfish, Redbreast Sunfish and Gills. Got to the launch at 645. Boats in the water by 7. Perfect! River was at a nice level as I made it upstream to my spot. There’s a couple there fishing but I recognize them so I join in on the party. I set up 2 rods and the waiting game starts. 1st run off came at 8pm, missed it! 2nd run off at 805, small and missed it. 3rd run off came at 855. Got her, spawned out female around 34 inches and 20 lbs. sweet. Unfortunately she had nothing in her belly that I could feel. Hopefully she gorges on something sooner rather then later. It’s now 10pm and none of us have had a touch! I pick up my gear and make an attempt to move downstream to the spawning hole.

All is well! Think they might be hanging out at the mouth of the lil’ creek. I’m motoring slowly down to the spot while it’s misting out and there’s a lot of moisture in the air. I come to a tricky spot that I’ve navigated about 400 times over the past 20+ years. Then it happened.

I took my eyes off my GPS for a second. Mind you, I used to do this without any FF at all. I hear the hull scrape a rock and all of the sudden BOOM, I’m stuck in some turbulent current about 1 mile north of the Riegelsville bridge. My first instinct was to pull the lanyard md lift the engine. I saved the engine thankfully. But I was spinning at the same time. 2nd instinct, level the boat out as it looks like the port side is about to go under water. We missed taking on water by about 1 inch. I level the boat out and was able to get it stabilized with my paddle. Scary shit as I’ve never been in this situation before, not on the river at least. Sure I’ve broken down but this was different.

I assess the situation. My lights are on. Flashlights on. I’m sitting on top of a boulder in the middle of the D! I’m ok! No injuries! Nothing overboard! I grab the paddle, maybe I can pry myself off this rock! I tried, I tried so hard that I have bruises on my biceps and triceps from the paddle being wedged in my arm. I’m done so then I started making phone calls. Made a post on FB as well to see if any of my homies were on the river this night. There were a few but they were to the north in Belvidere. My man D. RiverRat, Tom calls back instantly after I called him. So glad this dude is back in town! I ask him, “What’s the protocol for a river rescue in this town?” “I’m stuck really bad man, I could use some help!” He instantly answers, “Pburg, Milford and Holland Township all have rescue boats!” Alright, maybe I’ll get off thai rock tonight. Tom makes the call for me as an hour of time has passed already. He calls back and says Milford, Holland FD and Rescue squad is on there way! I’m stoked and embarrassed at the same time. I feel bad taking these fine American’s away from there families and friends on a Saturday night. I needed help and I had to go home, my wife and kids were super worried!

A little more time passes and I get a phone call from a female officer asking my location. I tell her I’m about mid river 3/4-1 mile from the boat launch. She says, “Ok, I’m gona run up River Rd. to see if I can spot you!” I see her with the lights on but lose her in the wooded area. Quick thinking, hey officer, hold on I’ll send you a dropped pin of my location. 131-140 River Rd or something like that. That’s what came up! So she realizes she can’t find me through all the greenage of the trees. The unit heads back down and all of the sudden I see the flashing lights and spots from like 4-5 cop cars. “We got you Mr. Payne. The rescue boat is launching now. How you doing out there?” I’m ok, just haven’t caught much in the last 2 hours!” There’s a little laughter! Lol! Finally I see the spots on the rescue vessel headed my way. Thank god! It’s almost midnight at this point.

The rescue team hooks me up and tries to pull my boat upstream out of the current. In my hard I’m like, “Downstream Is a better idea Cap’n.” The upstream pull fails as the rescue almost hit a boulder the size of my Silverado! Sheesh! Ok let’s go downstream! Man let me tell you something, I was wedged on top of that damn boulder like trophy. I still don’t get it. I was doing 5 mph. The current, boiling water and sheer power of the water got me stuck perfectly on the middle of this river. A river I’ve loved for many years! I will always respect her!

The downstream pull is a success and it took almost full throttle with a 100hp. jet to get me unstuck. Unreal! Here we go! We’re outta here! After a slow troll back through the boulder field we finally make it back to the ramp. I get off the boat with the help of the Milford FD and other volunteers. Yes, volunteers! These fine people risked there time and lives for me! It’s what they do and they succeeded in pretty good time in my opinion! I thank as many people as I can as they dispersed quickly on this Saturday night. I get it! I wana have a beer and get home to my family as well. There were no Cops upon my arrival. I thought that was strange but it’s ok with me. I know most of them from fishing the rocks anyway.

I hook up the boat with the help from some locals. I’m presented a beer and sure as hell chugged it as it’s well after midnight at this time. Did a quick safety check and headed for the barn. After a solid hour drive of thinking how bad this could’ve went I finally made it home. First thing I did was walk into my bedroom and wake my wife up to hug her. We hugged for a solid minute or so. I needed it! Peeking in on my sleeping kids was the 2nd thing I did. Seeing them safe and warm in there beds gave me a warm feeling inside after a hectic night! I’m thankful for my family! I then went to the fridge and grabbed a few adult beverages. I sat on my deck til 4am thinking about all that were involved in the first rescue I’ve ever experienced. I’m thankful for the Milford FD and water rescue squad. Im
thankful for my family and friends. I’m thankful to be here with you fine anglers and outdoorsmen! This night could’ve gone terribly wrong had I gone overboard!!!
TIGHT LINEZ!!!!!

Last edited by FASTEDDIE29; 06-30-2020 at 07:27 AM..
Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Rough day, river rescue! 6/27/20

wow, what a story! An incredibly close call! im proud of everyone involved getting you through to safety.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 AM
Site Sponsor

Sheeeesh! Glad you and the fe express are all alright👍
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 06-30-2020, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

WOW! Amazing story Ed and you told it so well that one felt your heart racing.
Thank God you are okay.
Tight lines and safe travels.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Wow what a night! Glad you are safe!
Old 06-30-2020, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

glad your ok Eddie.thank the good Lord because it could have gone real bad.its
great to hear that these towns have peeps who can help,real hero's for sure.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Rough day, river rescue! 6/27/20

Wow, glad you didn't capsize ! I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often with the amount of boats. Guess you hit it just right.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Eddie glad the outcome was all good.

I love the line "I'm good, just haven’t caught much in the last 2 hours!".
Old 06-30-2020, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Scary stuff!! That is a landmine field through there!!
Old 06-30-2020, 12:44 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Wow, glad you’re ok!!