NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Yamaha HPDI - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Yamaha HPDI

Just wondering which is better, twin 200hp HPDI, verse twin 200 yamaha 4 strokes
Old 09-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Wink Re: Yamaha HPDI

The early HDPIs (say 1999 - 2001 ish) had some issues with blowing power heads. Just about every manufacturer who came out with a new pressure injected 2 stroke to meet the new EPA requirements had the same issues. Yamaha with their HDPI, Evenrude with Ficht and Mercury with their Optimax.

I think most have either overcome those issue or have gone to 4 stroke engines but some still offer both. That should tell you something and to prove my point, the same used boat with 2 strokes HDPI's typically sells for less than it's peers with 4 strokes.

In my mind the benefits of a 4 stroke are reliabilty, you don't need to burn 2 stroke oil ($$$$) and they tend to be quieter and burn cleaner than 2 strokes. The downside is you have to do oil changes and they usually weigh more.

The 2 strokes typically weigh less, have a better power to weight ratio and are uaully less expensive than the same horsepower 4 strokes.

If it were me, money aside, I would go with the 4 stroke.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 09-24-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Old 09-24-2013, 10:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Yamaha HPDI

thanks gerry!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Yamaha HPDI

As Gerry said. And the newer 2 stroke 200's are cheaper on fuel. But the oil cost eats into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
The early HDPIs (say 1999 - 2001 ish) had some issues with blowing power heads. Just about every manufacturer who came out with a new pressure injected 2 stroke to meet the new EPA requirements had the same issues. Yamaha with their HDPI, Evenrude with Ficht and Mercury with their Optimax.

I think most have either overcome those issue or have gone to 4 stroke engines but some still offer both. That should tell you something and to prove my point, the same used boat with 2 strokes HDPI's typically sells for less than it's peers with 4 strokes.

In my mind the benefits of a 4 stroke are reliabilty, you don't need to burn 2 stroke oil ($$$$) and they tend to be quieter and burn cleaner than 2 strokes. The downside is you have to do oil changes and they usually weigh more.

The 2 strokes typically weigh less, have a better power to weight ratio and are uaully less expensive than the same horsepower 4 strokes.

If it were me, money aside, I would go with the 4 stroke.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 09-25-2013 at 10:32 AM..