NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout lake in nj for 8 yr old? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-10-2020, 05:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Question Trout lake in nj for 8 yr old?

Sorry if wrong forum but didn’t see freshwater forum. My 8yr old son wants to trout fish this weekend. I am in Holmdel/Monmouth county and know the local lakes have been fished out or too shallow/hot. Any recommendations? It’s been awhile since I have been keyed into the freshwater. Streams etc won’t work. Need a pond etc.

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Trout lake in nj for 8 yr old?

Even if it’s an earthworm and cast out for good shot at a catfish or carp it’s a win lol
Old 09-10-2020, 09:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There is a fresh water forum.

That said, you are not going to find a pond in August that has trout unless it spring fed.

If fishing from shore target warm water species and have fun. Kids don’t care if it’s trout or a sunny. Action is the key with an 8 year old. Keep them busy and keep them interested s
Old 09-10-2020, 10:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Try Garvey's pond in Navesink.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:01 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Is it his first time fishing? If so, take him to the Manasquan Res. Plenty of different things to catch. Sunnies, bass, crappie, catfish and could find some carp. Small piece of worm on a 1/0-2/0 hook with a bobber. Can't lose. Plus if he gets board plenty of trails and things to do there

Don't tread on me.

All men die, few ever really live
Old 09-11-2020, 11:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thx guys. My son has fished 6 charters the past 2 years for fluke out of belmar/point pleasant but he is “fluked out” with a few trips the past month and wants trout and I don’t feel like driving up to north jersey or fishing streams lol
Old 09-11-2020, 02:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. View Post
Thx guys. My son has fished 6 charters the past 2 years for fluke out of belmar/point pleasant but he is “fluked out” with a few trips the past month and wants trout and I don’t feel like driving up to north jersey or fishing streams lol
unfortunately not many any holdover trout in South Jersey once summer settles in, if any, they'd be in some of the streams which arent that easy to fish.

However, Fall trout stocking will begin October 6.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:14 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Spring Lake
Old 09-12-2020, 08:22 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Sounds like he might enjoy some bottom fishing and blackfishing is right around the corner.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-12-2020, 01:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod View Post
Spring Lake
I agree. While the likelihood of catching a trout at this time of the year in any of the Central NJ ponds or lakes is remote, there are other fish that can keep a youngster engaged. The state will stock trout again in a few weeks on a one and done basis, and they will put trout into some Central NJ lakes. If your son can hold on a little longer, you can take him to one of them.

Spring Lake is a great place for a day of fishing. There is ample shoreline and easy access. While the spring stocked trout may no longer be biting, there are other species that will keep your son entertained.

If all of that fails, you can take your son to almost anywhere in the area to fish for snapper bluefish. The Belmar Marina area is not far away. The shorelines around the Pt. Pleasant and Manasquan areas are also very close. He can use the same trout rod and reel setup and just add a longer shank hook (with or without a leader) and a bobber and a spearing and you are set. He can also use a snapper popper or various spoons that can be cast and retrieved, if he is into casting. Almost any back bay or river or lagoon with shoreline access will be places to find those little toothy critters.

If you find the right place to fish, the action can be nonstop........just the kind of fishing an 8 years old boy will love.