NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

~*~ Long long long weekend ~*~ - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-20-2015, 08:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default ~*~ Long long long weekend ~*~

With some money left to burn nothing popped in my head except of. That's right going fishing.

Friday Night - Spruce Run - from 9pm till 4am

My friend called me up and of to Spruce we went. He is still looking to connect with pike and we went hunting.

Waded in and started out fishing. All night long we were pulling catfish after catfish all in a smaller 1 to 2 lbs range.

Spread out over a nice body of water with 6 rod in. Finally he got the hit we been waiting on all night. Bobber was gone and seconds later reappeared 30 feet from where it went down. But it was not meant to be. Did not manage to hook what ever it was that hit it.

Managed to hook up with another snapper that my friend took home for some soup. I warned the damn turtles that the next one will gt last time I was there so poor fellow had to pay the price.

Later also managed to hook into a nice 2 2 and half feet long eel. After pondering of what do I want to do with it decided on letting him live.

Overall caught about 20 catfish through the night. All were released.

Saturday: Spruce Run again

Got home around 5am and had to make a quick run to work at 7am. Finished by 12pm and then picked up my friend and headed out to Spruce again trying out new spots. We fished from 2pm till 10pm with nothing to show for it but some sunnies. Had a very strong swipe on the monsta shiner that we got from Behre's but I just ripped it out from the mouth of whatever was holding it down. By the marks on him figured it was a pike but I could be mistaken and probably was just taking easy on myself.

Got home around 11 and started to prepare for the Sunday.

Sunday: Delaware River

Got up at 4am trying to understand why eddie would not divulge his secrets regarding Delaware. In all honesty was my first time ever fishing the river so I just decided to follow my sense.

Of course first spot I picked out was already occupied by someone. That someone turns out to be a nicely size black bear which politely declined our invitation for a ride and a cold one.

After meeting with couple of more people that were heading my way it was time to find a new spot. And then I saw it. It was staring at me the whole time. Right under my nose. Pond Eddy. Shit I thought to myself. That's just got to be it. If Eddie doesn't want to divulge then I this just got to be the spot.
Was not mistaken. As soon as I got to the river two huge splashes greeted me. With splashes and bear all being a good sign I thought it was time to set up. Which was long overdue by the way. Lines went in a water and fishing began. 15 minutes in line starts screaming. Here we go, its on. 5 minutes in fish was back with us on the shore. Finally a river stripper. Could not be happier. Also we were greeted with applause and yells from all the rafts and canoes that were floating down.

Heat picked up and bite went down. Turns out to be only fish of the day but it was more than enough. Had a bbq going, enjoyed the weather and the river.

Got home around 7pm and simply passed out.

Pictures to follow, sorry for the wall of text just was a lot to wrap up.

Andre
Old 07-20-2015, 09:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: ~*~ Long long long weekend ~*~

Nice work, Andre! Sounds like a marathon weekend. Congrats on the striper.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wow - I'm counting 15 hours of fishing Friday and Saturday and then a full day on Sunday. That's amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrushkin33 View Post
Finally a river stripper. Could not be happier. Also we were greeted with applause and yells from all the rafts and canoes that were floating down.

Andre
I'm interested in catching one of these 'river strippers', too!
I saved up some single dollar bills I can use as bait.

Last edited by Eskimo; 07-20-2015 at 09:57 AM..
Old 07-20-2015, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: ~*~ Long long long weekend ~*~

Sounds like a fun filled weekend of fishing with some pretty good catching. Those river Stripers fight like crazy. Certainly a good catch. Haven't been to the river in about a month. It's time to get back to it. Great report buddy. See you soon!
Old 07-20-2015, 12:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: ~*~ Long long long weekend ~*~

Why not just get a camp site at SR ?
Old 07-20-2015, 12:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Why not just get a camp site at SR ?
Andy

Most of the camp sites are booked almost through the end of august.

I also like the ability to go anytime I please. At the campsites I am locked in for the night. Would be able to get out but not get back in unless I am going the wrong way on the road.

Not to mentions my nights get pretty loud and don't want to bother others around me if they are sleeping.

Esk,

Roflamo man. I don't know if the dolla bill will work on the strippers down there.

Sincerely

Andre
Old 07-20-2015, 03:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I had a long weekend too but I'm glad you got a nice reward...I did not haha.

Hey do you want to go halves on a gps tracker to plant on Eddie?
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 07-20-2015, 04:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ha ha Chris,

Funny thing that's what I was thinking on Saturday when had gps units installed on my trucks and chassis.

Just use find my iPhone app. That will give you his location in real time.

Or just look at the river spots with close proximity to liquor stores.

That's a passion we both share ....

Andre
Old 07-21-2015, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Man I wish I had that much time to go fishing. Really admire your dedication.

The BIG D is always a great place to the SKUNK stank off. Congrats on the first river strip. Try DMF behind the pilings...monsters there as from a friend who is a dive inspector who did a survey there a few years back.

Nothing like a canoe trip fishing for sm while the wifey gets her exercise paddling! Going one day next week & looking forward to that...
Old 07-21-2015, 10:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yuma,

Thank you kindly.

I pass by the river so many times and have seen some big fish in there while taking a canoe or raft trip, but never until last weekend been able to fish it.

Catching a striper was just an icing on the cake. While I heard about them being in the mouth of the river moving up toward Trenton area never in my life I would expect to catch one so far in,

Went targeting walleye in all honesty but by the time I got to the river fishing kinda new it would not be happening. Figured throwing chicken livers should work as well and it did.

Can wait to get out again and good luck to you when you will make it out.

Andre