NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

~*~ Spruce Run Weekend ~*~ - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-20-2015, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default ~*~ Spruce Run Weekend ~*~

Ahhh crazy weekend finally behind. Barely had any sleep but all the fishing was worth it.

Days fished: Friday night, Saturday day and Sunday Night

Bait Used: Shiners, fatheads, nightcrawlers and chicken livers.

Friday Night from 8pm till 11:30pm

My pike wrestling friend being upset that he didn't catch any night before convince me to go again.

I kept on fishing shiners while he decided to use chicken livers. Night was great and barely windy.

First 4 white catfish were bagged so already my friend was making up for the night before.

Hybrid Special:

Just when we were about to go home his line starts screaming and tipping over. Being close to the rod I have hooked the beast. and let him handle the fish. That bastard managed to take about 75 yards of the line while making a run for it. A short time later 24-25 inch hybrid with a solid mass of about 6lbs was reeled in. It was a beauty of the fish and on that we decided to call it a night.

Saturday day - that was a family outing with significant others and kids tagging along. BBQ was set, lines were dropped and beautiful day was enjoyed by all. Still managed to land a 30 inch pike which was the only fish of the day. Fish was hooked and landed by friends 8 year old son and his excitement was priceless. He handled the beast like a pro, carefully reeled it in, giving the fish some slack when it was making a run for it and all around like a true professional. Was standing next to him just in case and my jaw was hanging out watching him working the beast. NO words to describe it, you just have to be there to understand the full magnitude of it.

Kid with his supreme catch:

Only thing I ended up with on that day was my first sunburn of the year.

Sunday night fished from 6pm till 11pm

Now yesterday the wind was kicking our ass. Could not keep the bobbers in place so switched to the worms and chicken livers.

First fish to fall prey was a stockie brown. How he managed to make it to the place where we were I have no idea but he did. He took the worm and was happy with it. Since fished of the bottom took me awhile to realize he was on.

Short time later chicken livers started to work their magic and 3 ore hybrids were hooked of 3,4 and 5 lbs

After tripping on rocks while trying to get the last one I decided to call it a night.

Word of caution to all. Check yourself for ticks. I was thinking it was still too cold for them to be out but managed to find two of them on me last night.

Will be updated with pictures once I receive them.

Tight lines to all

Andre

Last edited by Andrushkin33; 04-21-2015 at 09:54 AM..
Old 04-20-2015, 11:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: ~*~ Spruce Run Weekend ~*~

Would be nice to have a photo of the brown trout since they haven't been stocked in there in about 10 years.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: ~*~ Spruce Run Weekend ~*~

If they did not stock them then its probably a wild one.

Just assumed if was a stockie based on the size.

Andre
Old 04-20-2015, 12:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Were the hybrids, pike, and brown kept or released? Wild browns come from the feeders... I've caught and released some pretty ones around there in the past.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Jig,

To tell the truth only trout and 2 hybrids were released.

Pike was a kept to be stuffed for the kid. Pike was a male.

2 Hybrids and catfish were kept for consumption.

Andre
Old 04-20-2015, 12:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That's a pretty cool 1st to have mounted, for sure. I've never caught whites in there... Only channels. I've been tempted to try eating a brid... Just never mustered up the gusto to slash ones gills to bleed out for the table!

It's funny... On the ocean, I am certainly more meat-minded vs my mentality on the lakes and rivers of NJ. I go from dexter to st Francis lol...
Old 04-20-2015, 01:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I would of been a right thing to teach the catch and release but just wanted the kid to remember this moment.

If it would be a female than story would be different.

As far as fish keeping. Lol I usually keep those that others do not. White cats are tasty and don't have that nasty smell to them like the channels do.

Hybrids are tasty as well but I would still rank crappies better tasting fish then them.

And pickerel ... oh man just love to pickle those suckers and they are amazing.

Trout being released most of the time even though they taste great as well. Carp and Salmon usually get smoked to be enjoyed later.

Usually 85 to 90 percent of the fish I catch I release.

Andre
Old 04-20-2015, 02:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: ~*~ Spruce Run Weekend ~*~

Another great weekend of catching Andre. Your a machine! That's just AWESOME that the kid got to land that Pike. Love seeing the kids catch always! Sounds like some time well spent on the water. Great catching man!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 02:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Eddie,

Totally man. Couldn't find Dale even though I was looking for him.

Reports from the boats coming in were mostly mixed. Some had an ok day and others got skunked.

Andre
Old 04-20-2015, 04:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Good weekend andre. I ended up not getting out at all unfortunately. Glad you're still tearing it up