NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lookin For Another Boat - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Classifieds
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Classifieds Use this board to post your FISHING related items for sale or trade. Non fishing related items belong in Non Fishing.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Lookin For Another Boat

All indications from the insurance company is that our boat is going to be a total loss so I'm going to be in the market for another boat.

Looking for a used Express style boat, something in the 28 - 33 foot range with either twin outboards or diesel inboards. If you come accross anything let me know.

On my short list so far are Carolina Classic, Albemarle, Grady White, Pursuit or Blackfin. Any others I should be considering?

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Lookin For Another Boat

Hydra - Sport , Wellcraft , The Albermarle 30' , twin diesel solid economical , good riding boat I can tell you that from personal expierance.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up Re: Lookin For Another Boat - Henriques

Hey Gerry,

Sorry to hear about your boat. Good luck in your search.

Check out the Henriques 28. I've had mine two years now and it has been great. A big plus is the factory is nearby if you ever need a part or have a question. I'm the third owner of the boat, but they always treat me like I just bought it from them. In fact, the owner came up Thanksgiving weekend to inspect my boat and prepare an estimate for my insurance company. It doesn't get any better than that...

One piece of advice I would recommend is to get an engine survey if you decide to get a diesel. Spend the extra money up front and get it done before the actual boat survey. How well the engines were cared for on an Henriques or some of the boats you already have on your list, will be the deciding factor.

-Jay

Last edited by JayO; 12-03-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Thanks guys...

Capt Lou - I had a 25 Hydrasports Vector WAC prior to the Carolina. It was probably the best riding 25s I was ever on. I like the 31 and 33 Wellcraft Coastals too, alot lot of boat there.... Albemarle is a great choice too but might be out of my price range. Never really owned a diesel boat before. I know they are more fuel efficent then gas inboards but I hear they do require a fair amount of maintainence $$ and they mighy not make sense financially unless you put more then a few hundred hours of use each year on them. We usually average 150 hours, so I'm think I'm sort of leaning towards the outboards and if so 4 strokes for sure. Power to weight ratio, fuel ecomomy reliability etc.. A lot of twin gasser inboards around too and they seem to be very aggressively priced, like 30 under their diesel peers. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Jay O - Love the 28 Henriques too... Probably one of the biggest 28s on the market and I love the lines and the room you havein the engines room is awesone. They do however seem pricey compared to others, I guess because of the Henriques reputation. Unbeleiveable that they came out from the factory to give you an estimate. Got to love that kind of customer support. Surveys are definately going to be a part of any purchase for sure.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-03-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Gerry -

If you are thinking of a another Hydrasport Bry's marine has either a used or leftover 28ft with twin outboards. Last I checked the price was real good. Give them a call and speak with Jim. You may be able to get a really good deal since he has been sitting on it for awhile. 732-775-7364

Sorry to hear about your boat but good luck with your next one. I own a Hydrasport and love the ride.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Looking forward to meeting you Sunday on the PUOSU

You had a 25 Carolina Classic, correct? That is a big riding 25 that can do a lot, even more than many bigger boats. Everything is a trade off as you now but it seems to me that you might be looking for a little more creature comfort or fishing room??? I would ask myself if that was the reason why I liked the coastal and if so, that might open up a whole other bunch of boats. If you want a boat that can take a licking and keep on ticking you may want to stay with that Carolina/ Ablemarle hull.

Most twin gas motors limit the range of where you can fish, if you are not heading to the canyons they may still be your best choice. If it were me, I would not look at 30 plus foot boats with gas motors. Resale suffers and when you have a bigger hull you will want to put longer further trips n her, adding to your hours.

The Albemarle and Carolina classic are very similar and hard to beat for pounding through a sea, I however am not a huge fan of the lower gunnels orvtheir drifting ability. I am also not convinced that there are many twin outboard boats that will push through the slop they way that hull did for you. The hulls that cut through the slop and can be pushed offshore loaded up with a pair of outboards are not creature comfort boats either, run and gun center consoles typically.

Sounds like you want the best bang for your buck and are trying to keep in a very reasonable budget. I am curious as to what you decide and what your thoughts are as I have been looking around as well and have always struggled with why would be best for my 100 hour a year use.

So easy to talk yourself into and/or out of a boat!

Tough decision
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Just FYI
I know a close friend that was gonna let
His 28 Grady go for 75-70k a real nice boat with almost all amenities, needs genny, heat, and ac.-: range was somewhere around 220
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefsquater
Looking forward to meeting you Sunday on the PUOSU

You had a 25 Carolina Classic, correct? That is a big riding 25 that can do a lot, even more than many bigger boats. Everything is a trade off as you now but it seems to me that you might be looking for a little more creature comfort or fishing room??? I would ask myself if that was the reason why I liked the coastal and if so, that might open up a whole other bunch of boats. If you want a boat that can take a licking and keep on ticking you may want to stay with that Carolina/ Ablemarle hull.

Most twin gas motors limit the range of where you can fish, if you are not heading to the canyons they may still be your best choice. If it were me, I would not look at 30 plus foot boats with gas motors. Resale suffers and when you have a bigger hull you will want to put longer further trips n her, adding to your hours.

The Albemarle and Carolina classic are very similar and hard to beat for pounding through a sea, I however am not a huge fan of the lower gunnels orvtheir drifting ability. I am also not convinced that there are many twin outboard boats that will push through the slop they way that hull did for you. The hulls that cut through the slop and can be pushed offshore loaded up with a pair of outboards are not creature comfort boats either, run and gun center consoles typically.

Sounds like you want the best bang for your buck and are trying to keep in a very reasonable budget. I am curious as to what you decide and what your thoughts are as I have been looking around as well and have always struggled with why would be best for my 100 hour a year use.

So easy to talk yourself into and/or out of a boat!

Tough decision
Reef - Not planning on going out to the Canyon on this boat. If I head out to the canyon, especially for an overnighter, I want a 40 plus sportfisher under my butt with a leather couch, TV, air conditioning, Captain and mate. Getting soft in my old age.

Main purpose will be for inshore fishing with an occational trip out to the Mudhole. I would also like to be able to spend the night or weekend on the boat down at the Marina. The 25 Carolina had one of the biggest cockpits in it's class and was perfect for what I needed fishing and range wise, but the cabin was too small to overnight in comfortably.

I also like to do some skinny water stuff like crabing, beaching the boat etc. Our marina entrance is sometimes less then 3 feet so that is in the mix as well. Part of the reason I like the outboards is the ability to tilt the engines up and on the 30 plus footer outboards you also have a mid cabin bunk bonus, which would be great for the kids. Add to that the new 4 strokes are fairly fuel efficent, quiet, reliable and, because of their power to weight ratio, higher RPM range and ability to trim, you also tend to get a bit more speed and ecomomy out of them.

Leaning that way for now but who knows. We just make take the easy/price road and settle on a twin inboard gasser... Lots of bargins out there on these type of boats. Typically 20 or 30 less then their diesel or outboard counterparts.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish28
Just FYI
I know a close friend that was gonna let
His 28 Grady go for 75-70k a real nice boat with almost all amenities, needs genny, heat, and ac.-: range was somewhere around 220
D - is this boat listed anywhere?? If not, what model, year and motors?

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ill find out exacts and let ya know...
I know it's got twin 225 yammys
And sailfish is ringing in my mind but ill get back to you
: it is a 2005 -282 sailfish w 225 yammys

Good luck on the new venture! See ya Sunday
www.quality1stcompanies.com

Last edited by dfish28; 12-04-2012 at 11:29 AM..